Chapter 1: Arriving at the Scene

A few weeks later, Kitsune and Jesse were on their way to their first mission. Jesse was the one driving as they were using his car. Kitsune stared out the window, watching as the town they lived in got farther and farther away. She didn't want to admit it, but she was somewhat nervous. Though, it turns out, she didn't have to say anything as Jesse seemed to already know.

"Anxious?" He asked suddenly.

 "Huh- oh, uh... Yeah, a bit." Kitsune confessed, fidgeting with her skirt. 

It was essentially her uniform for this job. It basically looked like Jesse's, but with a skirt. The outfit consisted of a scarlet button-up shirt with cuffed sleeve, black vest and tie, dark gray pleated skirt, stockings, and black dress shoes with heels and straps. (Side note, apparently these are called mary jane heels.) A machete with a purple handle and a blade made of silver in a sheath rested by her feet.

"That's perfectly understandable. Believe me, when I first started this job, I felt like that too." Jesse responded. "Though... You learn to get used to it. It's definitely somewhat scary the first time, but you can't let that stop you. That's essentially the first rule of this job." He explained, glancing over at her from the corner of his eyes.

"Though, it'll be alright. I'm not about to let you die- especially not on your first case." He assured her.

 Kitsune smiled at him a bit. "Thanks, Jesse. That makes me feel a bit better." She responded.

"Oh yeah- that reminds me, what is this case we're going to?" She asked. 

"Ah- that's right, I neglected to tell you. My mistake. Basically, there's a village in this forest. Rather cut off from everything else. Anyways, there's been rumors about disappearances. We're going out there to find and take care of the culprit... Permanently." Jesse explained.

"This is honestly one of the more tamer cases, really. These ones and trying to uncover a murder. So long as there's no powerful magic, I wouldn't worry too much." He added. 

"Hm, I see. Well, I guess we'll see what happens when we get there." Kitsune responded.

---

After a two hour drive, the pair had reached their destination. This village in particular was just barely into the forest, so they could still use the car. Kitsune got out of the vehicle, stretching as she did so. "So, this is the place, right?" She asked.

"Indeed it is. Thankfully, people here are actually more welcoming- unlike some other villages I've been to in this accursed forest..." Jesse responded, prompting the fox woman to look over at him. 

"Wait- you've been to this place before? There are more villages in the forest?" She asked.

"I've been to about three, yes. Though, people in those villages don't take too kindly to outsiders- especially Chastisers. Some nonsense about how we'll mess with the supposed contract that is keeping them safe... Even though it's doing literally nothing." Jesse explained, huffing slightly.

'I'm... probably gonna have to ask about that later.' Kitsune thought to herself. "I take it it's best if we lay low, right? Just in case?" She asked.

"That's right. Now come on, we don't have a second to waste." The dark haired male replied, as him and Kitsune walked a bit deeper into the woods. Before too long, they reached a village. Everyone was dressed rather warmly, it seemed- wearing clothes made out of handmade fabrics.

"Oh geez... Hopefully we don't stick out too much." Kitsune mumbled. 

"I wouldn't worry too much. I'm pretty sure these people in particular aren't nearly as superstitious about this forest. They only follow the rules out of fear that the other villages will attack. So I'm told, anyways." Jesse remarked.