~Chapter Six~

Hey everyone!  I'm introducing a new character (shes one of my best friends so please dont call me out for using her)

When Esteban arrived at the palace early, Elena was worried.  She casually went up to his office and knocked on the door.

"Esteban?" she called.  A big sigh was the response.  "Can I come in?" Elena asked.  A slight groan told her she could.  She slowly opened the door to find Esteban seated behind his desk stroking his mustache.

Elena smiled nervously.  "Um, how was the date?" she asked.  Esteban groaned.  "Horrible, really.  Aashna and I aren't meant to be.  I guess the right woman got away from me because of her idiotic daughter." he rambled.  Elena frowned.  "What happened?" she asked, ignoring the insult her cousin shot at one of her friends.

Esteban explained the whole situation, exaggerated or not, Elena thought he was being a little dramatic.

"That's all?  Why do you hate Carla so much?" she asked with an eyebrow raised.  Esteban got up from the chair and walked over to the bookshelf.

"It is not her I dislike, she dislikes me." he admitted.  Elena sighed.  "That shouldn't stop you from marrying the love of her life." she put a hand on her cousin's shoulder.

"Ay, so I see engagement hasn't changed you one bit?" he asked bitterly.  Elena gasped. 

"So that's it!  You're jealous of me because I found the love of my life, and because you're such a control freak you had to do the same!" she accused.  Esteban knew it was true, but pretended it was an outright lie.  

"I don't know what you're talking about, Elena.  I would never get married again if I was forced-
 he began, but one woman at the door interrupted him.

"U-um, Hi I'm new here at the palace.  My name's Ericah." the woman had long blonde hair with brown highlights.  Her black glasses showed her green eyes.  Esteban gasped.  She was gorgeous!

Elena smiled.  "Hey!  Are you going to be taking care of the stables?" she asked.  Ericah nodded.  "Yup,  I've had lots of experience." she smiled.  Esteban frowned.  "Why would a woman like you be working in such a place?" he asked.  Ericah shrugged.

"I dunno, I guess because I need the money." she admitted.  Esteban put his hand on her shoulder.  "Ah, no.  You need a much better one.  May I offer my expertise on jobs around here?" he asked.  Ericah looked confused but nodded.  "Sure!  Aren't you Esteban?"

"Yes, my dear.  Now Elena, please leave us be." he shook his hand at her.  Elena giggled and ran out of the room.

Back at Mateo's house, he woke up to find Carla and Rafa baking in the kitchen.  He smiled and then yawned.

Carla turned around from powdering something sweet and smiled.  "Aw, I'm sorry I didn't notice you came in!" she walked over and gave him a hug.  Rafa placed a hand on her heart.

"My baby boy!" she sighed dreamily.  Mateo groaned.  "Ugh, mom!  Don't embarrass me." Carla giggled.  "Don't worry, Rafa. He doesn't mean it." she pushed Mateo playfully.  Mateo walked over to the counter and looked at the treats gleefully. 

"Ooo!  Can I help you?" he asked with interest.  Rafa frowned.  "These are for Elena and Gabe's engagement ball." Mateo looked confused.  "When's that?" he asked.  Rafa and Carla looked at each other nervously.  

"Tonight.. Didn't you know?" Carla asked.  Mateo slammed his palm onto his face.

"Augh!  Yes, I did!" he groaned.  He really forgot about it but he didn't want to make Carla or his mother upset.  "I'll go get ready!" he ran upstairs to his bedroom.  Carla giggled.  

"He does know it won't be for another five hours, doesn't he?" she joked.  Rafa sighed, but still smiling as she rolled up some dough.  "You never can tell!"

At that exact time, Esteban and Ericah were busy talking about things.  They were eating some cookies and drinking Luisa's favorite tea. 

"So, are you Avaloran?" Esteban asked as he sipped some tea.  Ericah nodded.  "Yup, born and raised.  I don't live in the Via Mercado so you probably haven't seen me." she explained.  Esteban nodded. 

"Very nice.  Did you have a good childhood here?" he asked.  Ericah smiled.  

"Oh, yes!  I couldn't ask for a better one.  It was all good until Shuriki took over.  I was 14 and my family was still very poor so almost all of my siblings had to provide.  But if I get this job I can hopefully be able to buy a bigger house for them." she explained.  Esteban nodded.  

"Yes, and I assume you know that I am no longer chancellor." he admitted.  Ericah nodded sadly.

"I'm so sorry.  But are you enjoying your retirement?" she asked.  Esteban sighed.  "Yes and no.  Up's and downs but it's all been very restful." he replied.  Ericah smiled.

"That's great. So I've always wondered but um, what was it like dying for Elena?" she asked awkwardly.  Esteban's eyes widened, nonetheless he tried to act calm and explained the whole situation.  He very much expected Ericah to slap him in the face or run off, but she didn't.

"Man, that must have been rough." was all she said.  Esteban nodded.  "Yes, it was.  Are you and your husband enjoying the city?" he asked, secretly hoping she was not married.

"Oh!  No, I don't have a husband." she replied.  Esteban smiled and held her hand.

"Wonderful- I mean, uh.  Forgive me!  That wasn't proper at all."  He fumbled with his sleeve.  Ericah laughed.  "That's fine.  I knew you weren't making fun of me." she said.  They both smiled at each other.  Maybe Esteban really did find the one.

THERE U GO ERICAH <3