Forty-Five: Congratulations and Congratulations

Namjoon had run off with Rebecca Foley to speak to some producers at a distant table. Anna sat alone at their assigned table at the awards show after party. Her hand held onto the gilded trophy she had just won. Best Supporting Actress. Unbelievable! She still couldn't believe it even though Namjoon had been telling her for weeks that the win was in the bag.

"Congratulations." A voice behind her startled her.

Seokjin slipped into the chair next to her. "You totally deserve it."

"H-Hi," Anna stuttered. "Uh, how are you?" He looked absolutely breathtaking in his tailored tuxedo. His eyes, although a little wary and tired-looking, could not detract from his handsome appearance.

He shrugged. "Oh, about as good as you can imagine. You, well, you know about the movie." She nodded and he continued, "I guess a little humility never hurt anyone. I don't know why I came tonight. I don't think anyone wants to see me. I'm a long way from where I used to be."

She shook her head. "Nonsense. You're just getting started. Echoes of Youth was good. The critics raved about your performance even if...even if—"

"Even if they trashed the movie," he finished with a bitter laugh. "Yeah. They were especially savage with Norma. I've never seen such a bloodbath." He shook his head. "But why am I even talking about that when I've got an award-winning actress in front of me. You look absolutely amazing tonight. And you were fantastic. Deliberations was a great film.

"You saw it?" she asked incredulously.

"Only about five times," he answered. "I cried every time. Your portrayal was heartbreaking."

"Some people say that a character's death is a cheap way to earn praise," she said modestly. "I'm sure lots of people here probably think that."

"Not at all," he said. "You should have been first-billed. I assume they wanted Myra to have a chance at Best Actress and not have you compete against her."

"Myra Brecker is a big star," Anna said. "There is no way my name belonged next to hers. No, my role was just a supporting role. I'm only sorry that Myra didn't win."

They sat in silence for a few minutes, still awkward around each other.

"Annie," he said suddenly. "Please forgive me." Then the words tumbled out like a waterfall. "I'm so sorry. It is so long overdue. I let the entire year go by without apologizing to you for my part in that whole fiasco. I'm so, so sorry. You don't know how much I regret my words that day. I'm haunted by how badly I treated you. I can't say sorry enough. I know I don't deserve it, but maybe—maybe you can remember the friendship we used to share and try to forgive my stupidity in time."

"Jinnie, I still consider you my friend. I don't think our friendship is in the past tense. Thank you for apologizing. Friends are allowed to speak freely to one another, even if it's in anger. I understand that you were under a lot of pressure."

He stared at her. "So...you forgive me?"

"Of course," she said with a smile. She put her left hand over his on the table. "As long as you are still my friend, I will always forgive you."

She noticed that his expression changed, and his gaze was fixed on her hand. She followed his eyes to the large diamond ring that was gleaming on her left hand. When she looked back at his face, she saw that he was trying his best to smile, but it looked strained.

"That's quite a rock," he said. "So, it's true. I, uh, guess more congratulations are in order."

She nodded.

"Is he...is he good to you?" he asked, his voice cracking. "Does he like...what you like? Does he look at shooting stars with you?"

"Jin," she started before a hand squeezed her shoulder.

"Hello," Namjoon said loudly and sat down, his arm around Anna's shoulder. His eyes were staring hard at Seokjin.

Seokjin gave a tight smile. "Hello. I was twice-congratulating Anna. It seems her life has been going from triumph to triumph since I last saw her."

"It certainly has," Namjoon replied in a monotone. "Nothing and no one is holding her back now."

Anna patted his hand resting on her shoulder and signaled with her eyes for him to be less antagonistic.

"Thank you, Seokjin," Anna said. She hoped that he had not noticed Namjoon's cold tone.

Seokjin, however, knew that Namjoon wanted him to leave, so he stood up. "I guess I should go," he said. "It was so good to see you, and I hope I will see you again very soon, Annie. Maybe we can have lunch."

Namjoon bristled at the nickname. "Anna will be very busy the next few weeks. We've found the perfect follow-up project for her, and she'll be meeting with many people. You can call the office if you want an appointment."

"Joon, Seokjin is my friend," she said in a slightly admonishing tone. She looked up at Seokjin. "I will always make time for you. Call me whenever you want, Jinnie."

Seokjin nodded with a smile and leaned down to give her a kiss on the cheek. His eyes, however, slid to Namjoon.

Namjoon clenched his fist under the table when Seokjin straightened up and sent him the slightest of smirks. Others might have missed it in the dim lighting, but Namjoon knew exactly why Kim Seokjin had looked at him that way. His nerves were already on edge after he heard Anna tell Seokjin almost the same words he had told her in bed earlier. I will always make time for you. He was determined not to give the handsome man an opportunity to worm his way back into Anna's life.