15

...

"'How are you?' Really?" She asked, annoyed. Was it not clear to him that she's doing badly? Did it ever occur to him that he's not the only one who misses someone?

"I mean, yeah? How are you?"

She sighs before answering, not wanting to snap so quickly. "I'm.. not okay."

...

Some may say that this silence, this 3 second long silence is awkward when in reality it isn't. If you really knew Pete long enough, you'd understand these silences just means he's looking at you with a blank face.

"Why." A question that doesn't even sound like a question more of a demand in a way.

"We haven't talked in a while."

"No fucking shit, Sherlock. I thought you'd be happy without me around. Without me." He said the last sentence a little quieter, not exactly sure if she even heard it.

"What? I wasn't happy when you decide to stop talking to me all together after my friends were being mean. I wanted you to talk to me about it, I wanted to talk to you about it."

Pete stayed silent, knowing he really fucked up. The pain in her voice, the last sentence slowing down as she speaks, desperate old feeling just to talk. She didn't need to see his face or to touch his skin, to graze her fingers across his forehead, covered with his black and red greasy hair. She didn't need anything but the presence. Ghostly feeling.

"Why did this even happen? All you had to do was talk to me, you knew you could talk to me. You just had to talk to me about what happened and I didn't have to feel hurt. Was it your intention to hurt me?" She pauses, deciding whether or not to just shoot out every question she's ever thought of.

"Do you hate me? Did I do something to you to make you mad? Was I too annoying? Do you not want to be seen with an idiot like me?" Shooting these questions at him all at once, why did it hurt her this bad to even have stopped talking to Pete all together?

"I didn't.. hate you." A pause, too much emotions to have a response, it was confusing for Pete.

"I never did. I just don't want you around so often because it always hurts when you're gone for too long. I care what you think of me." He says, with no emotion.

"... I thought you understood that I wasn't like them." Her eyes felt tight. Watering mouth, breathing shaking, headaches all the symptoms of crying.

"I've acknowledged you're an idiot but I acknowledge that you're with them. You're not the same with them. If you hadn't noticed, they hate people like me. They hate that I looked you at least once, they hate that I talked to you, they hate that I was existing. I never know what you think. I don't know how you think. I don't know what you think of me."

"That's nice to know. I guess." Scratching her neck, feeling a little embarrassed.

"What."

"Not- You know, 'nice'. I meant, it was nice to know you felt the same way. Nice to know you thought the same."

"Oh. Right."

"Mhm."

A silence instead of a comfortable one, it felt tense. More tense than what they're used to. Hoping one of them would say something.

After this long silence, she hears yawning from Pete's end.

"Are you tired, little man?