Chapter 2

"So, how was reporting today?" her father asked Amanda. Her, her sister, Mary, and her father were all eating dinner at home.
"Ummm... It was alright, I guess."
"Would you consider doing it again?"
"Well, I'm going tomorrow, ain't I?"
Her father dropped his fork down on the table. "What did you just say?" he choked out.
"That... I'm going back tomorrow?"
"But you said 'ain't'"
"Is there something wrong with that?" Amanda asked, confused.
"Where did you hear that?" her father asked, clearly infuriated.
"When I was reporting yesterday..."
"Mmm... Maybe you shouldn't go back there again." he said, trying to collect himself.
"NO!" she blurted out, thinking of Davey, and how sweet he'd been. "I mean, no, I think I should. I think it was a good, um... Learning experience!"
"Really? Learning... Well, what if I was to hire someone to help you with writing songs, or whatever it is that you do with your piano." Amanda almost choked. Her dad NEVER offered to help her with anything related to the arts, and she knew how she was supposed to react. She was supposed to jump up and down and say "Yes!" a million times, but all she could think about was how nice it was talking to someone who wasn't completely rich and stuck up, which basically described her whole social circle.
"Well, I think that, just for now at least, I might like to, um, keep writing..." she said under her breath. Amanda could see her father's suspicions getting bigger, and the air between them was so tense, you could cut it with a knife. He nodded shortly, then continued eating, keeping an intimidating look on his face that warned her not to go too far with anything.