Chapter 3

"So, how long have you been in New York?" Amanda and Davey sat on top of a stack of newspapers. They had been talking for only a short amount of time, but it felt, at least for Amanda, like time had stopped just for them.
"Well, probably my whole life. I've never really thought about it much."
"Do you want to get out?"
"I mean, not really. I like New York. I like the energy of everyone around each other, and knowing that no matter what time of night it is, if you stick your head out your window, you'll see something. Someone will be walking, or a cat will be walking down an alley, or there'll be a noise to listen to... How 'bout you, where do you want to go?" Amanda groaned.
"Anywhere BUT here. Or, anywhere that my family isn't."
"What's wrong with family?"
"You want one reason? Just one?"
Davey smiled welcomingly, and said "Try me!"
"Well, my father hates me. He loves my sister, I mean, he gives her anything that she wants. He just gives me money and says 'Go get what you want'. For her last birthday, he got her a puppy. For my last birthday, he wasn't in town, so he sent me a card. I was always more of a 'mommy's girl'."
"Where IS your mom?"
"She, um... You know what, it doesn't matter!"
"Wow," Davey said, laughing just a bit, "I thought I had it rough, but I guess little miss heiress has problems too."
"Alright, well what's your life story?"
"Uh, what do you want to know?"
"I don't know, interests?" she paused, and smiled before saying teasingly, "love interests?" Davey chuckled.
"Well, there is this one girl..."
"Do tell!"
"Um... She's beautiful. She's really smart, way too good for me, and um..." he looked down and blushed. "She's sitting right next to me."
This took Amanda by complete surprise. She blushed too, and started to laugh just a little.
"Too blunt?" Davey asked.
"Not at all!" she said affectionately as she looked into his eyes. Slowly, they began to lean their heads towards each other. Their lips were about to meet, when from behind them came a voice.
"Hey Hearst, you think daddy would like you locking lips with a paper boy?" Morris Delancey said.
"No, and he's not gonna hear it from you!" Amanda yelled back. Then, quickly, she kissed Davey on the cheek, and began to walk home. But before she left, she wrote something down on a notepad, then dropped the paper on the ground.
Davey walked over and picked it up. "See you soon? Xoxo" He smiled, and held it tightly in his hand.