Aldertree

We got mom settled into a room and she sat on the bed "Tessa, what is it?" I looked over at her and she said "You want to tell me something, so just say it. What did I miss?" I sighed, "A lot has happened mom, I... please don't interrupt until I'm done." she said "Im listening." I took a deep breath and said "I started to date Alec Lightwood and we slept together. Then he purposed to Lydia Brandwell and I ruined their wedding. I met my grandmother who is the inquisitor. And I'm pretty sure I'm in love with a warlock." Clary said in a warning tone "Tessa." I said "And I'm... pregnant with Alec's baby." mom sat there shocked just staring at me Clary said "Mom?" that snapped mom out of it and she yanked me into a hug and said, "Im so sorry Tessa, that I wasn't here for you." I said "You don't hate me?" she grabbed my face to look at me and said "No baby, I could never hate you, do I think you should have waited? Yes, but my sweet little girl, I promise you it will be ok."

Mom hugged me again and this time Clary joined in, mom said "I can't believe I'm gonna be a grandma but, what I want to know is who is this Warlock? Hmm? Is it Ragnor? Malcolm? Magnus?" I hid my face in her shoulder and she said "Magnus Bane? Interesting. Clary, since your sister is all of a sudden mute, what do you think?" Clary said "They are cute together, he calls her Princess, and does everything for her. He protects her, and he loves her, you can see it every time he looks at her, which is all the time." I said, "It can't be that obvious, can it?" Clary said, "Oh but it is." I said, "Oh I also met Tessa Gray." Mom said, "When?" I said "Um shield after we went to the city of bones. Clary told Magnus to kidnap me." I glared at her and she said "now you'd gladly let him." I smacked her thigh yelling and indigent "Hey!" I got a text from Izzy so I said "I got to go." Clary said, "Where?" I said, "It's Izzy and Magnus, it could be anywhere." Mom gave me one last hug before releasing me and I went to meet them. We met up with Lydia and Alec.

Izzy said "Any word from the Clave?" Lydia said "Not yet and we've been trying for the past four hours. Something's up." Magnus said "Hmm, the Clave being unhelpful? Who's shocked? Show of hands?" I giggled as we all stopped at a table with screens. Alec said "I'm worried. I can't sense Jace through our parabatai bond." I said, "We will find him, we have to." Izzy said "When we arrested Hodge, he said Valentine was on a ship. They must still be over water." Lydia said, "Pull up the waterways around New York." Izzy did as asked and said, "The ship couldn't have gone too far." Magnus was using his magic and a piece of Jace's clothing to find him, Alec said "Anything?" Magnus said "Sorry." Alec said, "There's gotta be something!" Magnus said, "I don't see him." Alec said "All right, listen up! I want 24/7 monitoring of the Hudson and the East Rivers. If you see anything unusual, you come to me first."

Lydia said, "I've got this, Alec."Then why haven't you found Jace yet?" she said "Don't forget who you're talking to. I am still the head of this Institute." Alec said, "And my brother is still missing!" Izzy said, "Why don't you just take a break?" Alec said "Not now, Izzy." I said, "Alec, let's think this through." Lydia said "The girls are right, and it's not a request. You're dismissed." Alec said "Fine!" and went to walk away, Magnus grabbed his arm and said "Hey..." Alec pulled from his grasp and said "Everybody, just back off!" he walked away. Lydia checked her phone and said, "We're needed in ops." Izzy said "Ok. I'll get Alec." Magnus pushed my hair behind my ear and said "I'll talk to you later, Princess." then he walked away. Lydia said, "You like him don't you?" I said "I do." and I headed to Ops.

I stood next to Izzy and Alec as Maryse said " We are at war. Valentine now has the Mortal Cup, with which he is, no doubt, raising a new army, and one of our own has joined him." Izzy said, "Looks like the queen's taking back her kingdom." I said, "But she is so cranky." Izzy and Alec smiled as Maryse said "As a result, the Clave has declared a state of emergency at the Institute. Their priority is to replace the current leadership, who they have deemed wholly ineffectual. It is an honor to introduce the newly appointed head of the New York Institute, Clave representative, Victor Aldertree. Alec said, "Did you know about this?" Izzy said "No. But maybe this is why dad went back to Idris." Lydia said, "Maryse went behind my back."

Aldertree said "My fellow Shadowhunters. It's an honor to be here with you all. We have to find Jace Wayland. He's a Shadowhunter and we don't leave our people behind. The answer to his location may very well lie in this room. So, I wanna speak with everyone who went on a mission where Jace disappeared. One last thing. Effective immediately, the Institute is on lockdown. But it's only temporary. Let's turn this Institute around." Clary walked up to us and said "Wait if we're on lockdown, who's out there looking for Jace?" Izzy said "We'll think of something. Don't worry. Jace is tough. Valentine will never break him." I said, "We will find him." After my interview, I was walking down the hall when I saw Magnus he said "Hey Princess." I said "Hey, what are you doing? Going home?" he said "My interview's over and I'm exhausted. Besides, at my house, there's steak and vodka. I'd rather be there. I wouldn't mind some company though." an alarm blared as I said, "That would be fun..."

Alec said, "Tessa, come on." I sighed "But I guess not possible." he said "Come over when you're free." I smiled as he pulled me into a hug before Alec grabbed my hand pulled me towards Ops. He said, "Who sounded the alarm?" A hologram with Jace's picture and 'wanted, dead or alive' popped up on the screen Izzy said "What's going on?" Clary said "Oh, no. Jace." I said, "This can't be good." Clary said "Aldertree said he wanted to rescue Jace." he came over and said "Actually, Clary, I said I wanted to find him. And you gave me the clue I needed to do just that." Alec said, "What did you tell him?"Clary said "Alec, I..." Aldertree interrupted her "Is this everyone? Fantastic. First up, all Downworlders are forbidden from entering the Institute without my prior approval. For those still present, good day. Mr. Graymark..." Luke said "I'm not leaving Jocelyn. Besides, my badge gives access to resources that you don't have. I can help you find Jace."

Aldertree said, "That's generous of you, but I'm going to have to insist." Luke looked at mom and said "Call me when you can." mom agreed "Yeah." Aldertree said "You, too... Simon. Simon, right?" Simon said "It's almost dawn. I don't have anywhere to go." Aldertree said "Hey, you're a smart guy. I'm sure you'll figure something out." Luke said, "Simon, come on." Simon looked at me and Clary and said "I'll be okay." and they left. Aldertree said "Now, let's get to it. I've reviewed your statements, along with the reports of your unsanctioned missions. And I can come to no other conclusion that Jace Wayland is a traitor to the Clave." Alec said, "Jace is not a traitor." Aldertree said "Point of fact. Clary said Jace called to warn you about Valentine's trap, which got me thinking... Jace had multiple chances to kill Valentine, but he chose to let him leave. Now, Valentine, Jace, and the Cup are missing. Do the math."

Clary said, "There is no way we're gonna help you hunt Jace." Aldertree said "And I'd never ask you to. You, your sister, and your friends are prohibited from any further involvement in the hunt for Jace Wayland." Izzy and I said "What?" Aldertree said "The rest of you, back to work. I'm lifting the lockdown on the Institute, except for Clary and Jocelyn. Given your relationship with Valentine and Jace, I wanna keep a close eye on you." Clary said "This is ridiculous." mom said "Clary..." and grabbed her arm as Clary said "No! We cannot just sit around. Okay, they're going to kill Jace. He's your son." mom said, "I know you and your sister think you understand this world, but you don't." Aldertree said "Dismissed!" he walked away and Alec said "Izzy." I said "Ill..." Alec said, "No Tessa, no." I said, "Why not?" He said "The trial." I said, "That's not fair." Izzy said, "I know you don't like being told no, but listen this time please." I sighed as mom said "What trial?" Clary said, "Uh, nothing." I said "Fine. Go."