Chapter 1

Darkness, it’s all you can see as you open your eyes. Nothing but darkness surrounds you but as your eyes adjust to your abrupt awakening you can see a slight blue tinge coming from your blinds. You check the phone sitting on your nightstand, tapping it twice to reveal a harsh glow and the numbers 3:15 A.M, It’s a Friday morning. You always seem to wake at the exact time in the middle of the night, without fail, but what’s different about this night is that you didn't wake on your own. You heard a noise from outside, something indistinguishable coming from the front of your house. You take a deep breath and climb out of bed, still heavy from the sleep you were so blissfully immersed in just moments prior. 

You make your way down the stairs, past the kitchen and to the living room window, peering through the curtain to see that the trash bin you had set out for collection was now left open. You figured it was just some teenagers messing about through the neighborhood for a late night thrill so you decide to head out and close it back up again. Seeing as this was a task that should take no more than a second, you skip putting on shoes and a jacket and instead, brace yourself for the cold. 

The chill of the night air hits you like a wave, amplified by the slight sounds of rustling coming from the large green bin, your feet seemingly frozen to the frigid concrete. You slowly creep down the harshly textured walkway and onto the dew coated grass, closer and closer to the can. You peer your head over the rim of the large green structure to find a young boy crouched inside.