Chapter 5

He said that his name was Ruggie. He had been living in an abandoned school bus ever since he had gotten here. Living off of nothing but scraps and his keen wits. It broke my heart to hear that he had been used to that kind of life. “Back home, I worked for hours to scrounge up money and scraps to eat for the day. Nothin’ like a little bit a hard work to make you appreciate whatcha got.” He said between mouthfuls of donut. “Well, I'm glad you can see the positives in your situation, not a lot of people would have the determination to live a life like that, most would just give up,” you said, trying to convince yourself to also see the good in all this. “I know someone who lived a life completely opposite to mine and he still gave up.” the boy said in a flat, lackadaisical tone, clearly referring to someone personally. You chose not to pry yet, especially considering you don't even know his name. 

“Well, thanks for your ever-so-kind hospitality,”  he said as he finished his plate of donuts and began to stand up and take a mock royal bow. “But I feel like I need to get out of your hair.” You were surprised at the fact that he would leave so soon. You felt like someone like him would milk this for all it’s worth. You also felt a bit sad seeing as you didn't want him to go just yet. “It's fine, I insist. You’re no bother at all.”  “Well if you’re offering. Can't turn down a deal like that.” You smiled at the sight of his toothy grin, sharp canines peaking just from under his curves lips.