Chapter 6

He began to nod off, signified by his distinguishably large yawn. “Here, you come up onto the couch while I go get you some blankets,” you say as he begins to rub at his eyes with the base of his palm. You couldn't imagine how he had gotten any rest in an old bus, sure it’s bigger than a couch but it can’t be that comfortable.   

You head upstairs to the spare hallway closet and grab a couple of blankets and pillows and head back down to your new guest, You come back to find him fast asleep on the couch. You place a blanket over his curled frame and notice his ear began to twitch. You go to reach for them, wanting to pet them, but you stop yourself. Instead, you whisper a gentle “Goodnight, Ruggie.” 

you head back up to your room and attempt to fall back asleep at the late hour of 4:35 A.M. It felt as though you had just closed your eyes to rejoin the sweet embrace of sleep when the fresh morning sunlight began to creep through your blinds. You decide to give up on your attempt at sleep and opt to check in on your guest. You come back to find him still fast asleep, spayed out across the couch, the telltale sign of a night well rested. You find this to be an optimal time to prepare breakfast for you and your guest.