Chapter 3: Along came a Spider...

[Oscorp, a short while later...]

Gwen and Peter burst into the lab, panting from running to try and make it into the lab they worked in as soon as possible. "So sorry we're late, Dr. Connors.", Gwen hastily apologized. She and Peter put on their lab coats and safety goggles, then went over to their workstations.

The doctor didn't seem to mind, knowing that his two top students were almost never late for work, and if they were, they likely had a good reason.

As they were left to their individual tasks, Peter looked over his shoulder, seeing that Gwen was busy working out some kind of formula, and went over to work on a side project he'd begun working on a couple weeks ago.

He analyzed multiple strains of DNA, looking at some way they could bond, both with each other... and with a person. He'd be in major trouble if he was caught doing something like this, but he'd been pushed too far, unbeknownst to his friends, who believed he didn't mind always needing them to come to his aid, but he wanted to fix that however he could.

Meanwhile, Gwen was sorting through a formula she'd been given by someone in a position over the labs, asking her to try and synthesize something that works with some genetic string of some kind. Every time she'd seemed to get something to bond correctly, the few technicians that had been nearby would hurriedly jot the details down.

Today, she was intrigued to see that there was a small tank beside her workstation, containing a decent sized spider, colored black, but with white and pink patterns on its body. She didn't know what it was for, or if it had anything to do with her work, all she knew was they would've told her if she needed to know...

Meanwhile, as she was working, Spider-Man was swinging down the street, chasing after Electro, who had stolen some tech from a Stark Industries warehouse on the edge of town. "Max, I'd have thought that you'd figured out by now that you can't take stuff that doesn't belong to you!", the masked hero shouted after him.

"Last I checked, you ain't actually a cop, bug-freak!", Electro shouted back. Jason flipped aside to dodge a bolt of electricity, landing on the side of the building, running along it, then diving at the fleeing rogue.

Shooting another web, he swung forward, using his free hand to web up Electro, attempting to tug him back. His opponent was unfortunately expecting this, and turned back to electrocute him through the web, making Spider-Man need to let go.

He caught himself and closed the distance once more, swinging himself above Electro, and coming down with a flying kick to the jaw, knocking the villain out of his flight pattern, and the both of them landed on the street below.

Before he could recover, Spider-Man shot webs at either of Electro's hands, and yanked him close, only to knock him back again with a cartwheel kick.

Max appeared to be knocked out, so Jason walked over to apprehend him. Right before contact could be made, however, he felt his spider-sense go off, and  moved to block an attack, only to be grazed by the large blast.

"Might have to crank the bug-zapper up higher, just to make sure you fry...", Max threatened with a smirk, drawing nearby power from an electrical box, and draining power from the nearby lights on the street, as well as the massive crane that had been moving a large I-beam through the building site it was attached to.

While the electric villain already likely had enough, he drained the last bit from the conduit he was touching, making the equipment shut down instantly.

This made the large Crane jerk to a halt, stopping the arm, and leaving the metal beam to keep swinging. The momentum carried it around, and it tugged hard on the cable, making the whole thing shudder.