Speak now

A Romanogers one shot based off Speak Now by Taylor Swift. Shout out to all the Swifties who will spot the lyrics I've slipped in ;)

Steve Rogers gets married today. I didn't see it coming either, to be honest. I didn't realise he and Sharon were so serious. She's not right for him though, always pushing him around and never letting him have his way, it's clear to anyone. Or maybe just me. If anyone sees it or not, it doesn't matter. He can't marry her, I won't let him. I know it's selfish and I know I'm unprepared, but I can't let him marry the wrong girl.

I'm not the kind of girl who should be rudely barging in on a white veil occasion like this, a wedding, sneaking in and checking everything. I see Steve's best men, Bucky and Sam, suiting up in the back room, and Sharon's distant cousins as her bridesmaids. Peering around the door, I see Sharon yelling at one of the bridesmaids, both of them dressed in dresses shaped like pastries.

The hall is ready: chairs lined up and starting to fill with guests, the American flag on the wall, the ribbons and banners all in pink (Sharon's decision, ugh) and then, from where I'm hidden in an upstairs window, I see him walk to the alter. Steve.

I go over the plan in my head: when the speaker asks if anyone knows a reason as to why they shouldn't marry, I'll stand up and say what I need to. I run over it in my head as I try and make myself look more presentable. I was in a hurry this morning, as it seems I was uninvited by the 'lovely' bride to be. I fix my hair so it's not all over the place, fix my dress, and then walk downstairs and take a seat. I say my various hellos and how are yous and yes it's all very nices and then finally I'm left alone in the back corner. I catch Steve's eye as i take my seat and I can't tell if I'm imagining the panicked look he has hidden right now. He should marry Sharon, he should run away with me, just like we'd planned, all those years ago, and then I left without a moments notice because I was worried he'd leave. He wouldn't, of course.

The organ starts to play a song that sounds like a death march, and Sharon walks down the aisle like a pageant queen, slowly. I make brief eye contact with Steve again as she walks down, beaming, and I know he wishes it was me. You wish it was me, don't you? Just a few more minutes, I tell myself, before I can stop this madness. Time is running out but that's okay, he won't have to marry her if I can help it.

Before I know it I hear the words, "speak now or forever hold your peace."

There's the silence.

There's my last chance.

I stand up with shaky hands. All eyes on me.

"I wouldn't usually be barging in like this, I'm not that kind of girl," I say. I don't know where this confidence is coming from. Horrified looks are boring into me, but I just look at Steve. "Steve, I know you know that Sharon is the wrong girl for you. So run away with me, like we planned ages ago. Don't wait, or say a single vow, if you're going to do this the time is now." Unintentional rhyme there. I've never heard a silence quite this loud. I bite my lip as heads turn from me to Steve, and from Steve to me. I can almost see the steam coming out of Sharon's ears at this point.

Then, as expected, Steve replies. "I'm sorry Sharon, she's right. You're a lovely girl, but you're not right for me, and I'm sorry, but-" He looks at me and gives a small nod. Simultaneously we break into a run for the back door, out of the church, him grabbing my hand. "I'm so glad you were around," he says, pulling me into a hug. I oblige, and we walk out of the church, hand in hand, leaving Sharon and the confused guests behind us.