Her Box

He invited me for a cup of coffee.

I wasn't expecting his fiancée to be there too. 

I looked ghastly. My dirty blond hair was uncombed and greasy, my eyes still a little puffy after the endless nights spent crying in bed. I just put on whatever I could get my hands on, which turned out to be an oversized grey sweater and worn-out skinny jeans. I couldn't even put on some makeup as I had overslept in the morning. I probably looked like a beggar and I just wanted the ground to swallow me up and make me disappear. 

On the contrary, she looked absolutely stunning. Her black curly hair was thrown over her shoulders, revealing her beautiful face, adorned with sparkly blue eyes. She was wearing a white blouse and a black skirt, showing off her long and tanned legs. I could see what had made him fall in love with her. 

We couldn't be more different. 

He wanted to introduce us to each other, his best friend and his soon-to-be wife. I was determined, very much determined to end it all. But the moment I laid eyes on his smiling face, his arms wrapped around her sitting in front of me in the coffee shop, the letter in my bag seemed to burn through the fabric. I knew, deep inside, that it would shatter their newfound bliss in the blink of an eye. So I kept it, as much as it was weighting down on me, I kept it in my bag and wished them happiness.

I knew all those years of love wouldn't - couldn't - just disappear at the snap of a finger, no matter how badly I wanted them to. But I had to bear the burden of it alone and hope they did not see how uncomfortable I was as I sat in that little chair.

When I came back, a dark and empty house greeted me. I glanced around the living room and had a sudden urge to clean. Whatever it was, I just needed to get my mind off things for a few hours. Sadly, the room was spotless except from the old and small chimney sitting against the wall. The house once belonged to my grandparents and, although I had moved in a few years ago after their deaths, I hadn't brought up the courage to clean the unused fireplace without calling for a specialist.

Somehow, today felt like the perfect day to be covered in ash and soot.

I ran up the stairs and changed into dark track pants and a large fitted long-sleeved shirt that were once my dad's and scrambled down with cleaning supplies, face masks and googles. I pushed open the windows to let the residual ash out and started scrubbing the bottom of the fireplace.

Although I haven't ever used it, there was still lots of work to do and I spent the entire afternoon surrounded by particles of ash and dust. As I was cleaning the bricks inside the chimney, one of them suddenly rattled and small pieces fell on the ground. I paused, bringing my flashlight closer. The brick was loose and pocked out a little. I grabbed it and pulled it out slowly, revealing a little cavity hidden behind it. A small box laid inside, covered in ash.

Early evening, I sat in the newly cleaned living room, my eyes drifting curiously over the box. After having wiped it clean, the layer of ash revealed beautiful red woo underneath with intricate drawings and carvings depicting a magnificent bird with golden feathers. It looked like an old jewellery box from Asian origins. The lock was old and rusty but still usable. The inside was empty, covered in a layer of surprisingly clean and well-preserved red velvet.

The next day, I woke up extra early and took a morning train to New York City. The streets were bustling with life already by the time I stepped inside the American Museum of Natural History. Minjun was waiting in the main hall, his eyes glued to his phone. His purple-streaked hair was quite eye-catching. I sneaked up behind him, softening my steps before suddenly grabbing his shoulders. He shrieked and almost dropped his phone, turning to me furiously when the visitors glanced at us curiously. I choked in a laugh and dragged him away from the crowded place.

"The hell was that for, Leah ?!" He shouted as soon as we were out of people's view.

I shrugged. "It was such a good opportunity, couldn't let it go to waste." I squeezed his cheek, laughing as he pouted. "Don't be mad at me, 'kay ? You know I love you, right ?"

Minjun swatted my hand away but his eyes couldn't hide the twinkle of joy. "So, what you here for ? I'm sure it's not just to make fun of me."

I pointed at his office down the hall. "Let's go talk in there."

Once he closed the door, I gently put down the bag I had on my shoulder on his table, revealing the wooden box wrapped under layers of foam and newspapers.

"Would you happen to know where this originates from ?" He walked closer, examining it closely with a magnifying glass. I heard him grumble under his breath but didn't bother him, glancing around the room at the numerous shelves filled with books and research.

Half an hour later, as I was reading a paper about the Sino-Japanese war, Minjun finally sat down at his desk. "Where did you find this ?"

I looked up from the paper. "It was hidden in the chimney at home."

"At home, you mean your grandparents' house ?" I nodded. He sighed and looked deep into my eyes. It was the first time since I've known him from high school that he has appeared so serious. An uneasy feeling creeped up in me.

"Please don't panic with what I'm gonna say." I gulped and nodded. "It appears you got an antique here, old antique, like really old. I can't give you a very accurate estimation, but it seems to have belonged to an empress of the Ming Dynasty in China." He pointed at the golden bird. "This is a phoenix, which was associated to the Empress. Its counterpart, the dragon, was used to represent the Emperor. The box is made of red sandalwood, decorated with real gold and iron."

"Wait, Ming dynasty... How much ago would that be ?"

"The Ming dynasty ruled from 1368 to 1644." He laughed. "You got your hands on some precious stuff, didn't you ?"

I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but knowing that the box once belonged to one of the most powerful woman in China wasn't on my list.

Minjun sat down next to me on the couch. "Where the hell did your grandparents find something like that ? This should be in a museum or something..."

I shook my head wordlessly. Although I was very close to my grandparents, even more so than my parents, I never picked up any clues hinting to an interest in Asian history, much less into collecting old Asian artifacts. "Anyway, thanks for your help, I'll treat you to dinner some day, gotta run now, see ya !" I put the box back into the bag and stormed out, afraid Minjun would ask more questions I couldn't answer. 

"Wait, Leah !" The desperation in his voice stopped me and I turned to him. That didn't sound like he wanted to ask more about the artifact. He walked to me and scratched his head embarrassingly. "You...how're you holding up with... y'know... the wedding." That was the moment I realised I hadn't thought about him all day. My thoughts were so full of the mysteries that the box contained that I totally forgot about it. Strangely enough, I was starting to feel just a little bit better. 

I smiled and patted his fluffy hair. "I'm getting better, don't worry. Thanks for asking thought. I'll see you at the wedding, yeah ?" He nodded and waved at me as I left. 

On the train ride back home, flying thoughts plagued my head. My eyes lingered on the box laying at my feet. Although, as Minjun had said, the box was an antique and was probably worth quite a sum of money, I wasn't exactly inclined to sell it. It was found in my grandparents' home, albeit hidden away. I felt a strange connection to it, as if it was beckoning me.

Later that night, the box found its place on the corner of my desk. As I had decided not to sell it, it would now fulfil its purpose as a box for whatever needed to be put away. I glanced at the bag at my feet, the dreaded letter still inside of it. I couldn't bear to throw it away, nor could I bear seeing it everyday so I grabbed it and put it into the box, sealing my feelings and love forever away as the lock fell into place.

Out of sight, out of mind...