Their Tassel

The princess was finally at the gates of the capital.

Earlier in the morning, a messenger had come to the meeting and announced the arrival of the Princess of Lingyuan, Li Yue.

Her cortege was slowly mounting the stone steps that led from the gates to the palace, the woman inside looking out the carved window with wonder and delight. Her face was covered with a veil, and children playing in the streets paused to wonder about the strange sight. Her sedan chair was carried by more than ten people, all wearing colored outfits and hats that belonged to their culture.

The princess was petite with eyes that seemed to trap all the innocence in the world. Her orbs were bright and full of life, looking all around her as if it was her first time in such a big city. Her home country, Lingyuan, was but a tenth in size compared to the empire. Their capital city was shabbier than their smaller port city. Even if the princess had come a few years earlier, she was still amazed by the sight of the marketplace full of busy people, the children running under her window, the merchants yelling out their wares. It was such a lively and wonderful place.

The hunting contest was held as a welcoming entertainment for the cortege of the princess. The banquet would be held later in the evening. As of now, every participant was getting ready to showcase their hunting and riding skills.

Ming Lei and Ming Xi, the two princes fighting for the throne, were no exception.

The Second Prince's tent was near the centre of the campement, bigger and more spacious than those of the lower nobles. Ming Lei was putting on the last of his equipment, making sure everything was as it should be. Finally satisfied, he grabbed his sword and gazed at a little blue tassel tied around the pommel.

A few days ago, Leah was sent to the soon-to-be Princess' court to prepare her new identity before the awaited arrival of the cortege. She was quickly brought to the head maid assigned to the courtyard and given a long lecture about how she would have to act in front of royalty. The head maid knew Leah was recommended by the Second Prince, igniting her hatred for people who use their connections to get what they want. As such, the woman was harsher and more strict than needed be, especially since the mute woman didn't look that bright either. However, she was quite surprised to see Leah working so well and without complaint, taking on her orders as if nothing. The head maid, Miss Xia, was even more shocked when she noticed the beautiful embroideries and sketches of imperial robes for the princess.

Soon, Leah was appointed royal designer assistant for the princess during her stay and she herself couldn't believe the irony of being a designer assistant once again.

As she was taking care of the clothes prepared for the princess, she unintentionally overheard the other handmaidens assigned to the courtyard talking about the upcoming Hunting Contest. There was a tradition in the empire where a lady was to offer a gift to the hunter of their choosing to wish them safety and good luck. Of course, both the princes have never taken part in this tradition before as the only lady who could offer them such things would be their future bride. None of the princes were betrothed yet, and many were the families who were more than eager to sell out their daughters for a place in the imperial family tree. 

However, Leah didn't hear that last part and scurried away when she learned about wishing the men safety, missing the crucial information which would have made her think twice before secretly making a tassel out of leftover scraps and asking one of the prince's guards to give it to Ming Lei. 

In the Second Prince's inner circle, it was a well-guarded secret that he had brought back an unknown woman and had given her a new identity in the palace. Many whispered of the forbidden love between a royal and a commoner. His entourage were happy to see their prince finally opening up to love and were quite supportive of the two's supposed relationship. Although the woman's social standing as a commoner was still a stain to their eyes, they were sure that once the prince was tired of her, he would be more open to other relationships involving princesses or daughters of prestigious families. 

The guard who received the tassel was no different. He didn't give it directly to the prince, but sneaked into his tent before his arrival and tied it around the pommel of his sword. He was sure that the prince would refuse that gift to not add more fuel to the fire of gossips, but that would break the lady's heart. If it's already tied around his sword, the prince will have to decided how to deal with it by himself. 

Ming Lei, staring at the tassel, smiled when he noticed very small letters embroidered on the red silk. He recognised the foreign characters and chuckled before sheathing his sword to his belt, before striding out of the tent to the start of the Hunting Contest. 

The red tassel dangled on his side at each of his steps.

1 cookie for each prey