His Future

Leah slumped against me, tears streaming down her pale face as she yelled out soundless words. She was trying to tell me my future, but some force was stopping her from doing so. I wrapped my arms around her petite form, taking in her sobs and cries. 

"It's alright, Leah. I don't need to know it." I said to comfort her. 

She shook her head. "You don't understand ! I can't let you live like that !" 

I smiled. "Leah, I won't follow some predestined path the Gods have chosen for me." I pointed out the window at the dark sky where countless stars sparkled. "I will walk on a path paved myself." 

She looked up at me, her blue eyes captivating. "Then what will you do if the entire world turns against you as you pave that path ?" She wasn't wrong. My own brother was after my life while our father watched us like watching entertainers in operas. 

"Then, I will have to fight my way through it." Her face was unreadable. 

I released her and walked back and forth in the room. If Leah is to stay here until we can find a way to send her back, she won't go unnoticed with her golden hair and blue eyes. She expressed her concerns about the problem and an idea flashed in my head.

"You remember how we're supposed to welcome the neighbouring kingdom's princess ? No one knows her appearance or her people's appearance as they wear veils. We could dress you up as one of her handmaidens and hide your hair and face. What do you think ?" I said. 

She pondered over it for a few seconds. "It's a good idea but I don't know their language. They will see right through it if I can't talk with them." I had forgotten that issue since we had been communicating just fine between us. 

"We could say you cannot talk and invent a sad backstory about some accident that made you lose your voice." I mumbled, my brain trying to come up with a believable story.

She looked at me wide-eyed. "Why are you a prince and not some bestseller novelist ?"

I smiled. "I wouldn't have met you if I wasn't a prince, though." 

As I said it, the words fully hit me. If any of us had made another choice when the letters started disappearing, we wouldn't be as close as we were now. She smiled, her face illuminated by the simple gesture. "That's true. I would have thought you were some mentally sick person or a burglar. Who would have thought a great, real prince was behind the thieving of my letters ?" 

I chuckled, happy that she finally didn't look so scared of me anymore. "Also, I'm sorry for scaring you. I thought you were someone sent by my brother to spy or poison me." I thought for a second. "You can hit me as much as you like, if that makes you feel better."

She looked at me, eyebrow raised. "The grand, almighty Second Prince would let a simple peasant such as myself touch his pure body ? Oh, god, how could I dare ?" She seemed much more relaxed now, exaggerating her words, her eyes sparkling under the dim light of the torches. 

She was such a breath of fresh air, compared to the suffocating palace and its endless power ploys. 

I could be myself with her.

"Now, let's go back to my chambers. I'll find someplace for you to spend the rest of the night. I'm sure you must be tired after such a long journey." I had the urge to take her hand in mine but managed to stop myself before I could grab onto her. 

Leah didn't seem to notice, following behind me like a little lost puppy. And lost she was, so far away from her home and her own time period. I couldn't imagine how helpless and confused she must be feeling right now. 

I'll have to personally make sure that her stay here is as comfortable as it can be. 

She won't stay for long anyway.

Even though I don't want to let her go.