Too Pretty To Eat

HERO

Before arriving and parking up at Clayhill Park, I decided that I wanted to see Jo before I went over to her. Entering the park, I look out to the lake glad to see that there's barely anyone here. I've never been here before but after searching on Google for quiet parks in London, I'm glad I chose this one. From a first glance, I can see there's practically no one here. And the people that are, are in a demographic too old to know who I am.

Pushing slightly further down the stony path, I spot a row of trees in which I can linger without anyone seeing me. I want to see Jo for myself before going over. Somehow I don't feel like a simple hello is right for meeting Jo but in turn, I've no idea what does feel right. I'm just going to go with the flow. Not think about things and just be. I'd say a lot hangs on us meeting but I'm not pressuring either of us. If it feels like something more awaits - more than it does now, then great. If not, I've gained a very funny friend and perhaps someone for Mila to laugh with too.

Leaning myself against one of the large tree trunks, I cross my legs over one another and fold my arms in front of me. My cap thankfully provides some cover for my face, I don't want to completely expose myself but at the same time, I want Jo to actually see me. As I think of her, I hear the gate to the park open and see her walk in. She's wearing jeans that hug her in all the right places, a floral top and a sage green cardigan. Her hair falls in soft curls down her back as she unknowingly wanders past me. She has such a soft face, her eyes wide searching for me. Thankfully she's not looked this way towards me, she's looking out onto the lake. The photo and Facetime really didn't do her justice...

Walking along the tree trail, I continue to let Jo wander in front of me, scoping the area trying to find me. She looks concerned, worried almost. Wait, is she thinking I stood her up? Fuck, maybe I should have just waited for her out in the open rather than letting her wander. Inhaling through my nose and puffing the breath out through my mouth, I walk out of the tree line and carefully place myself behind her. I've no idea what I'm doing but I'm doing it. Moving closer, my arm automatically wraps around her sinched waist and I turn her around in my arms until her front is flush with mine. Warmth radiates from her as she tries to get her bearings as to what's just happened. I lift my cap realising she's probably no idea what the hell has just happened and I peer down at her, in person, for the first time. Oh my God...

"Hello," unlike my entrance I keep my greeting nice and simple for her. Her breath hitches in her throat as she realises I'm here but I'm too busy getting lost in the deep ocean blue eyes staring back at me.

"Oh my god, hi. Holy fuck," she sounds... surprised. But it could also be construed as breathless. Shit, I've startled her. Have I really taken her that much by surprise? I wonder what she sounds like during... Nope. Turning my thoughts away from the inappropriateness, I stand Jo up straight, making sure she's okay before sliding my cap back into place. Every time I've greeted her, somehow she's swore. It's surprising and definitely not expected on my part for a teacher.

"I'm going to invest in a swear jar for you, Miss Langford. Are you okay?" She still looks shocked and dazed. She slowly begins to nod yes before sheepishly asking me the same.

"Yeah, I'm good. Is there anywhere, in particular, you'd like to go here?" I do my damndest to sound confident for her but the butterflies in my belly are causing havoc with my nerves. I want this to go well, for both of us.

"Erm, I've never been here. I'll be guided by you," interesting...

"Well, that makes two of us. Shall we just wander?" I see her think just for a few moments before she begins to nod yes. Moving to the side, my head begins to scream at me to take hold of her hand and lead her with me. Why I've no idea, but my mind is internally screaming at me. I've known her, in person, for a matter of minutes and already my body wants some form of physical contact with her. There's a pull, like we're two opposite ends of a magnet, pulling each other closer and closer. This is a good thing, right?