Chapter 2

Author's Note: Alright, so I'm gonna be brutally honest here, I know next to nothing about Kislev's Gods, with only a little bit of knowledge on Ursun. So if I mess up on what the Kislev Gods are really like, I am sorry. Now! On with the reading!!!

10 years later. Kislev. Y/N POV.

Today was a special day for me. Today, I would become a true Prince of Kislev. Ever since I returned home, mother had been working tirelessly to mold me into a great warrior and magic user. I'd spend hours upon hours in the ice palace, training to use my ice magic.

And when I wasn't needing to wield magic power, I was trained by several Boyars to use a blade of any kind. But as well as training myself in martial and magical skill, I spent my time either with my mother, or in the mists of the Great Orthodoxy, learning from the supreme Patriarch, Kostaltyn of Kislev's four Gods. The Kislevite Gods consisted of Tor, Dazh, Salyak, and most worshipped of them all, Ursun, the mighty God Bear of Kislev.

Tor, to put it simple, was the God of Thunder and Lightning. But he was also worshipped as a war God in times of conflict, with which he blesses his followers, with increased martial prowess and strength. Dazh is the God of Fire and Sun, who has been the second most worshipped deity as of late, the reasons as to why I'll explain later.

Salyak is the Goddess of Healing and Comfort, and is often worshipped when people are injured or bedridden with sickness. And lastly, the greatest of them all. Ursun, the mighty God Bear of Kislev. With Bears being such an important part of Kislevite life, it is little wonder as to why Ursun would be the most worshipped of the four Kislevite Gods. He is both wise and strong, and cares deeply for his people.

And yet, the land that Ursun watches over suffers. It is known for Ursun to let out his roar, forcing back the cold of the winter months, and let the warmth of the fairer seasons grace our land. But he had fallen into silence, causing the ice of winter to thicken, for 9 long years. Mother had sent a Prince of Kislev on an expedition into the frozen wastes that the Tribes of Norscan warriors and the monstrous creatures known as the Grimm, inhabited.

But that was 7 years ago. News has reached me and mother, that the Prince's soul was lost. What remained of his expedition limped back to Kislev, they informed me and mother that Ursun was still alive, but barley clinging to life, for he was shackled in shadow and cursed flesh, with his last location, Dervingard, being the only place where he was last heard, before the darkness took him. Kostaltyn was pressuring mother to send out another expedition to find Ursun, but external affairs had forced her attention away from rescuing Ursun.

Mother wishes just as much as Kostaltyn and the rest of Kislev to save our God Bear, but recent raids from the Norscans prevented such an endeavor from taking place. And very recently, a massive army of Norscan and Grimm warriors and monsters had invaded Kislev, and had laid siege to the Cursed City, Praag.

Mother had an army, marshaled and ready for me and Kostaltyn to lead to Prague's aid. The plan was that me and Kostaltyn would start the initial engagement, and mother would be following close behind to deal with any unexpected attacks from smaller forces that tried to hinder our march.

Mother was nervous about sending me alone, even if Kostaltyn would be by my side, because this would be my first time. Not leading or commanding, I had plenty of experience with that, it's just it was my first time taking full command in a pitch battle. Most of my leadership experience stemmed from leading small groups of soldiers to drive out small warbands and war parties.

And what scared mother the most was the possibility of me being killed in battle, or even worse, me dying right in front of her eyes. But she didn't stop me from going, because as much as she loved me, we both needed to fight for our kingdom, especially after her father and my father had passed in the attempt to protect Kislev.