Chapter Two: Castiel Take The Wheel

Castiel stopped for gas at a chevron outside of Sioux City, Iowa. Going back to Kansas was making Sam nervous. He had originally thought he'd said goodbye to the bunker and his home state itself for good. But this was important. He had to find this girl who was potentially his niece. Having Cas back didn't make him forget all his problems, but it had been alleviating having someone who felt like family there with him.

"Her name is Courtney Croce, born August thirteenth, nineteen ninety-eight. I'm having difficulty finding her. Something tells me that she's still alive, but there's also something clouding Courtney from me. Someone or a thing doesn't want me to find her." This was all the information Castiel had retained.

They got onto the road again after the tank was filled up with gas. "So, what do you propose we do, Cas?" Sam went through possible scenarios in his mind. "I have enough ingredients at the bunker to try and locate her with a spell."

Castiel sighed heavily with his eyes still locked on the road ahead. "I don't want you going through the trouble of using a spell that likely won't work Sam. Courtney, I feel is under someone's influence and spell. It'll be best to conjure up someone powerful in magic, someone we can both trust."

There was one person that came to Sam's mind. Someone he thought he could trust which took time before, now she was the only witch he could trust with his whole life. "Rowena?"

Castiel nodded his head. "Just whom I was thinking."

The highway got dimmer as there were little to no cars around anymore and he glanced at a sign that said, 'Welcome to Nebraska'. "I did see your brother, Sam. He's in Heaven." He said reassuringly.

Sam looked at Castiel like he was about to say something. He rolled his flannel shirt sleeve down to the point where it became exposed from his dark olive-green jacket. It was a shirt that Dean wore often. It was red and black. He did the same on the other side. "Did you two talk?" Sam finally asked.

"No," Castiel answered swiftly. "He hasn't seen me. Dean is happy and he knows that I am alive again. He does think and talk about you frequently. The last I saw him he was catching up with Kevin Tran. Jack was able to find his spirit walking the earth and brought him to Heaven."

That made Sam smile, he was glad to know that Kevin was where he needed to be. Sam felt a trickle of water run down his cheek and realized it was a teardrop. "Well, as long as he's happy now."

Castiel glanced over at his friend mercifully, "I've been hearing your thoughts and prayers a lot Sam. I've been by you most of the time." The angel felt great sympathy for Sam. He wasn't going to tell him anything consisting of his new place in Heaven and the other angels, but a feeling told him it was necessary.

"The way Jack wants to handle everything now," Castiel continued. "Consists of himself and angels not to be seen anymore. So, we are again working behind the scenes as we used to. I'm sorry I never showed myself during those times you called me."

"It's okay, Cas," Sam revealed, but there was a part of him screaming no, that it wasn't okay. He tossed his long locks back. "I'm glad that you're with me this time. Though I speculate that when this is all over, I won't be able to see you again right?"

Castiel nodded his head as he placed his gaze back on the road. "Unfortunately, that is true."

Sam now knew what Garth possibly felt when they said goodbye the other night. He automatically felt the guilt more deeply than he had before.

Castiel continued, "I've also heard that you plan on leaving and starting over? I don't think it's a bad idea. I believe that in the end Dean would've wanted you to have a normal life."