Chapter Six: Angel Of Thursday

As the Angel of Thursday, Castiel is most vulnerable to a human prayer born on a Thursday. A dim-lit room took form around the angel. Castiel knew he shouldn't be there. He remembered the last thing was being with Sam, Rowena, and Eileen. They had taken the demon, Ruby out of Courtney.

This wasn't the first time Castiel had experienced travel from one place to another in a single second. However, he had no inkling of what brought him there, or who. The room wasn't foreign to him. He'd been in hospital rooms many times. Though the blinds were drawn over the window, he could tell that it was nighttime. An aroma of lavender tickled his nostrils. It wasn't overbearing, quite the opposite. There was a calming effect to the scent.

Castiel glanced around his new surroundings. On the small mounted tv, a children's cartoon played. He recognized the characters of Scooby-Doo instantly. It wasn't long ago that he was pulled into a television and met those simple cartoons with the Winchester brothers.

The angels' eyes fixed on the hospital bed where a child, no more than five years old, lay in peace. Or it seemed peaceful. She had short wavy blonde hair and the palest skin color he'd ever beheld. There was an ethereal appearance around the small being. It wasn't alive, nor was it dead. She was a fairytale to look at as if the child were Snow White.

A few bandages were on the girls' arms and an IV was planted in her wrist. Castiel checked the monitor to see her heart rate and blood pressure were low. As much as the angel tried, he couldn't grasp the little one's hand. It's not that Castiel didn't want to. His hand would slip through hers like he was a ghost.

After a short amount of time the front door opened. A young girl came in and walked over to sit at the edge of the bed. This girl was around the age of ten or eleven years. She's healthier than the one laying in the bed.

"Most of the vending machines in this wing only carry coffee and soda." She spoke. "But I did find your favorite for when you wake up." The older girl dug through her pocket and put a bag of Reese's pieces on the table. "I was able to find Reese's pieces at the other side of this hospital at the bistro."

At this point, Castiel knew he couldn't be seen. The older girl didn't acknowledge his being there. The angel crouched down to get a closer look at this girl who just walked into the room. In the past, he often found himself in the presence of the same hairless person. Sure, she had hair at the top of her head, but nowhere else.

He used to refer human beings to hairless monkeys in the past. Castiel also thought they were a bit careless, and destructive. But he loved what God made. Through the span of ten years his opinions of people have tremendously changed. Back when Metatron forced him to fall from grace helped Castiel to see through a human's eyes.

The angel didn't know how humanity could put up with what they go through daily. Even his time as a soldier didn't outdo all man-made chores and tasks these human beings are put through. In a way, Castiel felt his luck.

Chuck made them with so many flaws. But it made them distinctive. Not one person was the same as another. Nor in thoughts, dreams, and DNA.

"I'm reliving the past." He remembered this being the last time and place he'd been a few weeks after raising Dean Winchester from perdition. Then he'd stopped visiting those who prayed, defying all his duties as an angel of the lord not long after.

Castiel assessed the older girls' features. Her light brown hair hung low behind her back. He gazed at the girls' eyes and found green in them. The angel could almost swear if the girl was a decade older, she'd look like Courtney. Unless...

Castiel realized now, Courtney would've been eleven. She began murmuring something with her head low and hands clasped together. The angel leaned closer in to hear her prayer. He suddenly felt a tug within his body and a male voice calling "Cas" over and over.