The Big Question

Officer Grayson kept coming back. Because I was still recovering, there wasn't a thing I could do about it. But eventually, I got used to him. When you got past the "IM AN AWESOME COP AND I WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND' attitude, he was actually pretty cool.

He told me to call him Dick. I told him to call me Mara, and if he called me anything but, I would never speak to him again. It was a good agreement. Worked pretty well. We slowly started to learn things about each other.

He was an ex-acrobat from the circus. His parents were both dead from an accident there. He was Bruce Wayne's adopted son. I didn't know much about Mr.Wayne except that he was a billionaire play boy. But Dick talked about him like he was the greatest thing ever. I guess in the eyes of a boy who had been orphaned at eight, he would be.

I was an abused girl with fight in her. Hated pity, and didn't let anyone push her around. Orphaned, but happy about it.

My parents were terrible. I had never gotten a proper education because I was constantly getting sick or I would be to hurt to go without the teachers noticing. And that didn't need to happen.

I got used to the flow of the hospital, and Claudia, and Dick's visits. But then, I made my recovery. I was healed. And then came the social worker.

The lady that walked into my room was tall. She had a hard mouth and eyes hat seemed to say 'Ill rip you to shreds'. She held herself straight and looked like a no nonsense drill sergeant. Immeaditatly, I hated her. Apparently my feelings were generously returned.

She looked at me like I was week old road kill dipped in spoiled milk. Which was gross...but an accurate representation. Her lip curled back and all I could see in her eyes were disgust. She looked down at the packet in her hands, then at me again.

"Your...um....Mara Williams?" She said in an unsure nasally voice. I sneered at her. This lady didn't stand a chance against my word play. She frowned at me causing me to laugh in her face.

"No." I said sarcastically "Im Alissa Baker. You must have the wrong room lady." Her glare intensified. Point One Mara.

"I don't tolerate sass or sarcasm young lady" she tells me, and I shrug. "Sorry, but the only language I speak is sarcasam." Her sigh is exasperated, like she can't believe she has to put up with me. Mara Two, Evil Lady Zero.

"I'm here" she says to me slowly. Like I'm stupid. "To take you to the girls home. Understand?" But really, I'm anything but. Far from it. I know how hard the Blüdhaven orphanages are like. It wold be terrible.

So of course I'm sensible as allways and say "Nuh uh." Her eye twitches. She looks about to yell when the door bursts open and Dick comes through in a suit instead of his Officers Uniform. He's holding a few papers in his hand. I relax slightly, feeling better with Dick here.

He grins at the Evil Lady charmingly and she flushes, obviously flustered."I don't think that will be nessecary Ms.Kayrals." She takes one look at the papers and freezes. "The court didn't approve those yet." Her voice is tight. She's nerveous. But Dick just keeps smiling and he comes next to me.

"They just did" he tells her. He kneels next to my bed and looks me straight in the eyes. "Mara, how would you feel about living with me?"

______________________________________________________________________________

Dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh...........l