Author's Note

This is a storyline I haven't really explored since all the way back in "Peacekeepers". Damian and Sahara are a couple of enjoyable characters whose quick, oft-sarcastic wit make them easy to write parts for. They're also deeply ingrained in the original ZooPhobia continuity, so finding a place for them in this unofficial continuation wasn't a problem.

However, in this story, we're five years from where we started. They're no longer the people they once were—and that proved to be a bit of a challenge.

I had to slightly rework Damian and Sahara's personalities to fit the circumstances of their dying friendship. No longer is Damian the snarky, prank-loving, happy-go-lucky high school freshman, nor is Sahara that cool, chilled-out, calming presence that kept Addison and Damian from getting into too much trouble. Now Damian is a sour-faced, semi-depressed college sophomore, while Sahara's an almost-robotic, work-first/play-later Xirxine magiscientist.

The challenge here was presenting them as the previous descriptions but still retaining their original personalities. I wanted them to still talk like they talked and act like they acted, while also being ostensibly darker. I think I succeeded, but that's really up to the reader to decide. So hopefully I did a good job.

Also, this is Xinith and Elijah's debut in the "Safe Haven Saga" (aside from Elijah's unmentioned cameo in "Bad Luck Jack"). Hope you guys like my take on them.

Damian and Sahara's friendship is in crisis. Will they do whatever it takes to stick together, or will this truly be the breaking of the fellowship...?