Chapter 36: Del is Back

Several days had passed by in just a blink of an eye.

Both Duke Calex and Duchess Atallie were busy with their own lives as they continued to try being civil with each other.

They dined and ate their meals together. Although mostly, they spent their time together in awkward silence, both the duke and the duchess didn't find each other bothersome in a loathsome way anymore.

As long as no one from them would mention the conflict from their previous talk.

Duke Calex spent most of his time going outside and purging monsters or copped up inside his study to do his paperwork and settle some business. Whereas Atallie spent her idle time working on her greenhouse, in which the duke, despite his unpredictable mood and madness, still stayed true to his words of allowing Atallie to have a greenhouse only built for her.

Everything seemed peaceful and normal on the surface. But both of them knew that the elephant was still in the room.

And just like that, the end of the 5th month was almost there.

It was a gloomy day.

Looking at the gray and thick clouds that covered the entire sky above, everyone could tell that there would be a heavy outpouring later.

Atallie, while sipping on her favorite sweet flavored tea, let out an imperceptible sigh.

Looks like the temperature later will drop drastically due to the incoming rain.
Atallie thought.

"Madame," Leonor came in and walked towards the balcony where Atallie was enjoying her tea. "I came to inform Madame that both Reza and Lila already went out to collect the seeds that you have requested last week," Leonor said as she stood before Atallie.

"Mm. How about the news regarding my lady-in-waiting?" Atallie asked. Her amber eyes still focused on the bleak and dreary scenery outside.

"To answer Madame, I have already sent another letter of invitation to the count the day before yesterday. I reckon that within the day, we might be able to receive the news from them. If not..." Leonor trailed off. Everyone knew that it was already the third time that they sent an official invitation to the count's estate to invite the daughter of the count to be the lady-in-waiting to the duchess. But until now, they haven't received any response or news from the faraway county.

"Mm. I believe we will soon be receiving news about that. Just keep watch." Atallie affirmed. Her cold amber eyes narrowed infinitesimally.

"I understand, Madame." Leonor nodded.

Atallie picked up her cup and brought it forward for another sip. But to her dismay, it was already the last drop. Atallie paused, and as she put the cup down, a thought crossed her mind.

"Is the duke not yet returning today?" Atallie asked.

"Sebas has sent a word just a while ago, informing the estate that His Grace will most likely to return in the evening," answered Leonor.

Atallie stayed silent.

Duke Calex left a week ago. The king had given his order to purged the monsters nearing the southern border.

Leonor saw that the duchess seemed to be thinking of something and was lost in her thoughts.

Thus, Leonor spoke first, "Madame, if there is nothing else, I would like to excuse myself first to prepare for the duke's return."

Atallie lifted her eyes and looked over at Leonor. She knew that as the head maid of the estate, together with the butler Estian, she had to make certain preparations and reports for the duke upon his return.