CHAPTER ELEVEN

Hermione woke up with a raging headache. It took a while to get her focus back after she opened her eyes. She looked down at her hands. They were strapped to the arms of a chair. She tried not to panic as she looked up and saw Lucius and Narcissa standing in front of her. This was it she thought. They were going to kill her.

"What's going on?" Her voice cracked as she spoke

"Well, after your indulgence last night, Draco told us about your little problem. We will not tolerate having an addict in the family." Hermione wondered what Draco told them. Maybe they were exaggerating. She tried to argue but she couldn't find the words. "At first we thought about getting rid of you right there in the bathroom but Draco insisted we keep you around. Practically begged us." Narcissa shot him a dirty look then looked back at Hermione.

"We're going to help you."

"Exactly how are you going to do that?"

"There is a technique that they use in Azkaban that helps witches and wizards recover from addiction. Whether it be potion or muggle drug abuse. We will simply rid your mind of your alcoholism." Lucius walked towards Hermione and traced her head with his wand. It sent shivers down her spine. "You will now associate any joyous thoughts with revolving ones. You will no longer be able to look at, taste, or smell alcohol without being completely appalled." He then pressed his wand up to her temple and pressed.

"Do I have a choice?"

Lucius laughed. "I think you're well aware of what your other option is." He lowered his wand to her throat and mimicked slitting it. Hermione saw Draco out of the corner of her eye. He was standing in the doorway with his arms crossed. He mouthed im sorry as Hermiones eyes teared up.

"I believe we can kill two birds with one stone here, Lucius." Narcissa got up from her seat and walked over to Hermione. She bent over so they were eye to eye. "If you agree to join the dark side we will continue the detox and you will stay here. We still offer our full protection. If you choose not to, you will have approximately five seconds to take your last breath." She paused and let Hermione think for a second. "So, what will it be?"

Hermione started trembling in her seat. She felt beads of sweat roll down her forehead. She took a deep breath and looked at Draco. He almost looked as miserable as her. She made up her mind and nodded her head.

"Yes... I'll join." Her voice was a whisper and she refused to make eye contact when she said it. Narcissa backed up with a wide smile across her face.

"If you betray us we will not hesitate to end your life." The smile didn't leave her face.

Lucius lifted his wand and stabbed it into the side of Hermione's head. She saw Draco leave. She knew this wasn't going to be pleasant if he stayed to watch. Lucius muttered an unknown spell that sent a shock through Hermione's brain. She felt as if it was hemorrhaging and she felt blood start to stream out of her ears. She shut her eyes tight and tried to push through the pain. The nauseous was intense and she felt it creep up her throat. It was almost as bad as the  Cruciatus curse. Almost. She began to have flashbacks. She saw Draco standing there. Not saying anything. Not intervening. She passed out from the pain.

She woke up hoping she would be in a bed but she was still tied up to the chair. She saw a silver chalice that was placed in front of her on the table. She knew what was in there but she had no desire to drink it. Lucius removed the ties from one of her wrists.

"Pick it up." Hermione's hand shook as she reached for the cup.

"Smell it." She caught a whiff before she could inhale it. She instantly gagged. Tears formed in her eyes. The stench burned her nostrils. 

"Now drink it." He hissed in her ear. She held the cup to her lips trying not to breathe. She barely got one drop in her mouth before she got sick on the floor. She was stunned. The one thing that helped her take the pain away now caused her pain. She trembled in the chair.

"Excellent!" Lucius had never looked happier. "There's just one last thing." He shot another curse through her head that knocked her out cold once more.

***
Draco stared at Hermione's body lying on his bed. She had been asleep for two days now. She looked almost dead. The sight of her overwhelmed him with sadness. He was glad he decided not to watch.

Draco spent his nights with her. Holding her while he watched her breath and counted her heartbeats. She was doing so well on her own. He couldn't believe his parents used magic to help her recover.

In the evening, Draco couldn't bear to look at her anymore. His father said she would wake up in a few days as good as new. Better than before. He knew he did something else along with the detox spell.

He grabbed his coat and headed into town. Even though I Hermione couldn't drink any more didn't mean he couldn't either. He took a bus to the pub he went to with Hermione, Ron, and Harry the first night he stayed with them. He looked at the place outside where Hermione told him he knew her. He still didn't understand what she meant by that.

He walked in and the second hand smoke made his eyes water. It didn't stop him from taking a cigarette out and smoking himself. While he was lighting it he saw Harry and Ron sitting at the bar. He thought about taking his wand out to get it over with but he couldn't have any witnesses.

He walked up to the bar and ordered a drink. Harry stood up instantly when he saw he was there. He gave him a cruel look and got in his face.

"What are you doing here? I think I made it pretty clear that I didn't want to see you around here anymore."

"Can a guy just enjoy a drink on a Friday night? Don't worry I'm just here to relax."

"Where's Hermione?"

"She stayed back tonight. She had actually been doing really well. Staying away from it and everything."

They sat in silence for a bit before Harry chimed in again.

"I'm surprised you're still with her after what she did to you."

"What?"

Harry smiled evilly at Draco. "She didn't tell you? Sixth year. She told me you guys got together and you told her about your plan to kill Dumbledore." Draco was confused. He didn't tell her that until a few days ago..

"I don't follow."

"Of course you don't." Harry grabbed his shoulder and looked at him head on. "She obliviated your memory of her." Draco wished he was lying but it kind of made sense. The chemistry they had, the visions, and what she told him at this pub. "Kind of sad really, growing all these feelings and then poof! It's all gone. The funny thing is, she didn't even obliviate herself so she remembers everything. Sort of violating. Fixing your mind and whatnot." Draco couldn't speak.

He didn't know how to feel. Why would she do that? He slammed his drink and got up to leave. He turned towards the door but Harry grabbed his arm to tell him one more thing.                                                

"You know Draco, after doing something like that, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I found out she was just as evil as you." He let him go and Draco hurried out of the pub. His anxiety built up in his throat. The world around him was spinning. He tried to remember the times in the library with her when she tutored him but it was all hazy. What was her reason?