fourteen

I stare up at the stars. Every minute I waste here will come back to me. Every second I spend debating whether or not I confess is time I could be spending enjoying her company.

My mind is at war. I don't know if I should tell her or not.

If I tell her, she'll know how I truly feel and then I'll leave. If I don't, she won't know, and then I'll leave. It has the same conclusion.

But I know that whatever decision I make, I'll be thinking about it for the rest of my life. I know I will. I know my mind too well. I'll be replaying this final hour with Veronica until I'm able to distract myself with something else.

It's so quiet.

I turn to her.

"Veronica?"

"Yes?" I take a shaky breath.

"I, um, I need to tell you something." She looks over at me.

"What is it?" I tighten my grip on the swing chain.

"Veronica, I..." I trail off. "I... I, um..." I curse myself for stuttering. She gives me a teasing smile.

"Cat got your tongue?" I slowly exhale.

"Ronnie, what time is it?" I ask. She pulls out her phone.

"Eleven forty-five." My heart sinks. I stand.

"Should probably head back before the others start freaking out on us." I start towards the car.

"Y/n, wait." I glance back.

"What?"

"What were you gonna say?"

"It's... Nothing. Nothing important." I turn away, feeling remorse and regret. Coward. That's what I am. I'm a coward. I should have said it. I started to. But then I had to go and brush it off as if it's nothing.

"Y/n..."

"Yeah?" She chews her bottom lip, seeming to debate something.

"... Thank you." I raise an eyebrow.

"Thank you?"

"Yeah."

"For what, nerd? I should be thanking you. Look, you're so amazing and-"

"You helped me find myself." She raises her head. "And I know that sounds so... So cheesy, but it's true. I am who I am right now because I met you." I slowly walk towards her.

"Veronica..."

"I think you're the reason I actually figured myself out. You're the reason I actually like my friends. You're the reason this hellhole of a town is bearable." I wait for her to say more. "You're... So amazing and I don't know anyone who's even remotely close to what you are to me." I close the gap and hug her tight. She reciprocates, holding me close.

"Thank you, Veronica," I whisper. She nods once, burying her face in my hair.

"You're too good, y/n." She pauses. "I can't believe I got the chance to meet you."

"Me neither." I run a hand up her back. "I should be thanking you. You brought me out of my comfort zone. You've been here for me the entire time. You were my first friend outside of JD. You did so much for me, Ronnie. It's crazy how much you changed my life."

"Yeah." She pulls away. "Let's get out of here." I almost don't want to get back in the car. I don't want to drive back to the school. I wanna stay here with her, but I know it's too much to hope for. It's only a matter of time until morning comes, and then I'll leave her life the way I walked into it.