Chapter 01

↭↭↭

MAX kicked me out of the investigation after what happened. I can't even satisfy my curiosity and question, that was stuck in my head. I don't exactly know why but he acted strangely the past week. 

Whenever I try to ask about the progress, he'll avoid answering. Well, he answered a few times, vaguely. It's like he's shutting me out of the case. I mean, he can do that yeah. After all, he dragged me in there just because he wanted to. Now, he kicked me out because he wanted to. Great.

Max, even though I call him my best friend, I'm embarrassed to admit that I know so little about him. I know some of his likes and dislikes and I guess, that's all! Oh, I almost forgot that he's such a playboy! Argh!

He is sometimes flirty, bubbly, overprotective but he always have been a mystery. I sometimes can't read what he's thinking at all. And he's always drawing lines! But him, suddenly kicking me out of that investigation where he dragged me into in the first place, is not just one of his mysteriousness. I know it.

I sighed. What are you up to this time, Max? I wish he'd just tell me or let me in a little bit off his line.

Look at the time. Break's almost over. Haa, I need to prepare for my 'task' so, I should head back.

The stall I'm spending my break time during nightshifts is not far from our building, so I took my time walking back. Only to find a suspicious someone, barging out of the department like, mad mad. I can see him from this far. 

It's Max. Making a scene out of that exit of his. I wonder what happened. 

Out of curiosity and something I cannot define, I followed him quietly. After walking straight for about two minutes, he turned to the right. Where...Ah, there! What is he doing there? 

He's in a dark alleyway and He's now talking to someone. I immediately hid behind a trash bin, big enough to cover me. I sneaked a peek to watch them. I watched their expressions carefully since I can't hear what they're saying. The other guy he's talking to is a little taller than him, probably over 6'5" and a bit more masculine. A black(?), a rather dark wavy hair. I can't see his face, though. It's like the dark shadow of that alley is purposely covering his face.

Uh?

After exchanging words for a while, the other guy held Max's collar and pushed him on the wall! He leaned in and I saw his lips move. It seems like he's saying something, a threat I suppose. Base on Max's reaction about that, it seems seriously serious and scary. Max's face looks like he just saw a ghost or in this case, I think he saw a monster. He's so terrified.

After a good minute, the guy let go of Max and tapped him on his shoulder before leaving him there. I think he said something more but I'm not sure because his back is turned to me.

I thought about coming out to approach Max but stopped myself when he suddenly kicked the empty can that was lying there. He raked his hair out of frustration and he threw a punch on the wall. Not long after that, he walked away. That direction...he's going to vent at a bar.

I don't know why he's so frustrated. I want to follow him but that would be forcing my way...right? In times like this, it's not really good to stop him either. Haa. What could they be talking about for him to be so scard and frustrated? Was it the case? 

I should really head back now.

As soon as I arrived, I noticed how everyone seems so bothered. I quietly came in and sat back at my table. "What happened?" I whispered to my colleague.