Chapter 13: Kunikida Remains Forgetful

It was the early evening hours now, and Chuuya had left the agency's headquarters awhile ago.

"It's nice to have some peace and quiet around here for once," Ranpo remarked.

"I know, right?" Dazai agreed.

"You were part of the problem, bandage man. You have no room to talk," Kyouka announced.

"Ouch," Dazai said.

"Well, she's not wrong. You kept antagonizing Chuuya," Yosano pointed out.

"Man, you girls really hate me," Dazai sighed.

"Don't worry, Dazai. I don't hate you," Kunikida assured him.

"Aww, thanks!" Dazai replied.

"At least Dazai gets along with someone," Junichiro commented.

"Kunikida, of all people. Who would've guessed it?" Yosano asked.

"Come on guys, this is a good thing," Kenji spoke up. "I mean, it's not good that Kunikida still can't remember anything, but it's nice to see him getting along with Dazai."

"That's true," Atsushi agreed.

"Honestly, we've all been tired of Dazai's pranks when we weren't even the targets so I can't imagine being Kunikida," Yosano thought aloud.

"Same, I'd hate living even more than Dazai does," Kyouka agreed.

"Amen, sister," Yosano said, giving Kyouka a fist bump.

Kunikida had gone unusually quiet, so Dazai glanced over at him to see that he was...reading the notebook?!

"Kunikida, are you starting to remember something?" Dazai asked eagerly.

"Not yet," Kunikida replied. He turned the page in the notebook and he began to look utterly shocked.

"What is it?" Kenji asked, noticing.

Kunikida flipped to the "ideal woman" pages. "People like this don't exist. Who wrote that?"

"Once again, it was you," Yosano answered.

"What? I never wrote anything like that," Kunikida argued.

"Yep, you did," Kyouka insisted.

Kunikida looked confused, but he scanned through the pages again. "Yeah, this still isn't ringing a bell."

Dazai sighed. "It's hopeless..."

"Don't say that, Mr. Dazai. He'll get his memory back eventually," Atsushi assured him.

"That's becoming hard to believe..." Dazai admitted.

"I don't doubt that Kunikida will get his memory back, but hopefully it happens soon. It's genuinely sad to see what he's become," Yosano commented.

"I know you mean it's sad that Kunikida likes me," Dazai replied sulkily.

"Yeah," Yosano replied.

"Why is it so bad that he likes me?" Dazai demanded.

"Because you're annoying and frankly I can't believe he doesn't hate you after all those pranks you've pulled on him," Yosano explained.

"Well, maybe he knows I was just having fun," Dazai reasoned.

"The same way you have fun with Chuuya, you mean?" Kyouka questioned.

"Yep!" Dazai agreed.

"I feel bad for both of them," Yosano declared.

"Why though?" Dazai asked. "I'm just teasing them."

"And they find it annoying," Kyouka pointed out.

"Well Chuuya does, at least. Apparently Kunikida doesn't mind it," Yosano added.