~Exuse me!~

Chapter Two

I was flooded with questions coming from people I didn’t know/remember. Everyone was telling me how much I had grown and how ‘pretty’ I am. I was already getting a headache.

“Kyra!” someone called. More people! ...damn. (A/N pronounced KEER-ah)

“What?” I said in my most polite voice. I turned to see it was my grandma who called me.

“We need you over here,” she said as she grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the hillbillies. “We just want you to say a few words.”

“What?” I asked. Talk in front of people? No way!

“Just how you are, about you, stuff like that,” grandma said as she pushed me in front of a microphone. Suddenly all eyes were on me waiting for me to say something.

“Um…hi!” I said. “I really don’t know what to say. My name is Kyra. I am here because my parents hate me and I don’t have anything left to say. Bye,” I smiled at the crowd, which was probably the whole town, and backed away from the microphone.

People again tried to surround me and ask me more questions but I slipped away from the crowd. I made my way back to the house and sat on the porch. By this time everyone had already forgotten whose party this was and was off doing their own thing.

“I remember you,” I turned to see an all too familiar face staring at me.

“And I remember you!” I gasped sarcastically. “Now leave!”

“Quiet down,” Asher cooed, “wouldn’t want everyone to think we hate each other.”

“Oh, but we do,” I sighed.

“That’s not what everyone else thinks,” he laughed.

***Flashback***

Eight year old me was playing in the dirt, building a pile of dirt then crushing it. I was sitting by the property line between my grandparents and the Carter’s place.

“Hey Kyra!” I heard a sinister voice yell.

“Go away,” I screamed as I closed my eyes and covered my ears. I felt something hit the back of my head, over and over, and over.

“Go!” I demanded. Slowly I opened my eyes and turned around. Little foam bullets lay on the ground around me and Asher Carter was sitting on the fence post laughing at me.

“I hate you,” I hissed.

“I hate you, too,” Asher hissed back. Suddenly my grandfather emerged from the barn.

“Everything okay over there?” grandpa asked once he got to where Asher and I were.

“Yes grandpa,” I said in my sweetest voice.

“Everything is fine,” Asher said and just to milk it he grabbed my hand.

“Okay try to keep quieter though,” grandpa said, smiling. He left back to the barn. Once he was out of hearing range I smacked Asher’s arm away from me.

“How dare you touch me?” I hissed.

***End of Flashback***

“I know,” I sighed.

“Awe, look at you two,” my grandmother cooed once she saw Asher and I together.

“Just like old times,” Asher said as he grabbed my hand. Grandma left and I smacked Asher’s hand away from me.

“How dare you touch me?” I hissed.

“Just like old times,” Asher chuckled again. Before I could say anything my grandfather got up to the microphone and cleared his throat.

“I, well my wife and I, would like to welcome our granddaughter to Meadow Springs. We, I mean the Carters and us have a surprise.”

Asher and I looked at each other with wide eyes.

“Kyra and Asher could you please come up here,” grandma continued for grandpa. Asher and I stood up and awkwardly walked over to my grandparents. Asher’s parents soon stood up and walked over too.

“We are not entirely proud to say that we owe money to the Goodridges but they made us an offer. So they have gratefully decided to drop all the money we owe them if our son marries their granddaughter,” Mrs. Carter said into the microphone. 

Excuse me! I have to marry him? I stood there with my eyes wide open and my jaw dropped. Asher looked almost the same way.