~Yeah, I Like That~

Steady Girly, don't walk too fast. One foot in front of the other.

He's watching you. Focus on him, only him.

Asher Alexander Carter stood tall, but I could see the nervous look in his bright green eyes. His muscular frame, tanned from years on the farm, was covered by a crisp black tux. It was strange seeing dressed up, normally his attire was only ripped jeans and wife beaters.

I was aware of every eye on me, but only Asher mattered at that point. I counted my steps as I walked toward him.

One

Two

Three

Four.

....

Twenty

Twenty, maybe, I lost count. My hands shook and my nose itched. Don't scratch or everyone will see, I told myself.

Finally, after what felt like forever, Asher took his hand in mine. I couldn't hear much of what the pastor was say until it came time to say the vows.

"Do you, Asher Alexandra Carter, take Kyra Lilian Gilroy be your lovely wife, to love, to hold and to honour, till death do you part?"

"I do."

"And do you, Kyra Lilian Gilroy, take Asher Alexander Carter to be your husband, to love, to hold and to honour, till death do you part?"

No, no, no! I'm too young. I'm still a child, just barely seventeen, but this choice was taken from me. 

..."I do."

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now ki--"

Asher pulled me in, I had to tiptoe out of my high heels to reach. The kiss was soft and sweet but not needy. Just like our first.

I somehow ended up in a chair, getting there was a haze. I took the pen in my paling hand and examined the paper. Something was off, this wasn't the right paper. I reached behind me and wrapped my free hand around Asher's neck, pulling him down to my level.

"Something isn't right," I whispered.

"They aren't the real papers," he whispered back. "Just sign them anyway."

He kissed my ear and stood back up. I signed my first two names, then hesitated. Do I sign as Gilroy or Carter? If they aren't real, then I am not a Carter, but everyone thinks I am.

Kyra Lilian Carter. Yeah, I like that.

~~~~

One last post then it's done!