Chapter 1

Chapter One

Kochou Shinobu

"Kocho Shinobu," I introduced myself on the first day of school, keeping my introduction to a bare minimum. "I'm very passionate about animals, insects to be exact."

I glanced around the classroom, hoping to spot a familiar face. But there was no one I recognized. With a polite curtsy, I made my way to my seat beside a girl with vibrant pink hair.

"Rengoku Kyojuro," announced the guy with the striking hair in front of me. His enthusiastic demeanor caught me off guard. I nodded calmly, appreciating his energy. "I see you're new here," he said, his voice full of warmth.

"Yeah," I replied with a smile, feeling slightly more at ease.

"Uhm, the name is Tomioka Giyu. I am from the countryside, then moved in here." The man in front of us introduced himself, and he appeared to be quite shy. After presenting himself, he bowed and returned to his seat behind me.

"Hello, I am Shinobu, and you are?" I struck up a conversation with the girl sitting next to me. Oh, and I need friends here too.

"Hi." I can literally see her eyes sparkling. "You look so lovely." She said. "I am Karonji Mitsuri." She handed me her hand.

I accepted it, "So, where are you from, Mitsuri?" I asked.

She leaned towards me with a warm smile, her eyes sparkling with friendliness. "I'm from a quaint village up north. It's a beautiful place, but quite isolated. Right now, though, I'm staying in a dorm near the university," she shared, her voice filled with a mix of nostalgia and excitement.

I nodded, taking in her words. She seemed really friendly and outgoing. "That must be quite a change," I remarked, thinking about the contrast between a quiet village and the bustling university life.

I then turned back to the guy sitting behind me, "I'm Shinobu." I introduced, handing him my hand. There was nothing more than a blank stare from him.

"Uh, yeah, I know," he said awkwardly, not even accepting my hand. The nerve of this guy!

I simply smiled politely, retracted my hand, and returned my gaze to the front.

"That's Tomioka. He's not really friendly. I apologize," Mitsuri whispered. I bet Tomioka heard it, since I noticed him peek at us. I stared at him again, our eyes met for a few seconds before he broke it off and looked back at the window.

"I don't really feel the need to introduce myself since you guys have already heard my name earlier, and I also heard your introduction, so that's that," he suddenly spoke, not even looking at us. "And I see you're new... Uh, Kanae's sister?" He asked, glancing at me briefly before quickly looking away when I returned his gaze.

"I see you know my sister?" I asked, curious.

"Everyone does," he said, almost cutting me off. I could really sense his awkwardness, and perhaps a touch of rudeness. Damn.

"I think you should loosen up, mister," I teased. I could tell he was blushing as he glanced at me, probably a bit embarrassed. After that, he simply ignored me.

He looks funny, no lie.

The first day flew by smoothly. I spent the entire break talking to Mitsuri.

"Wow, I can't believe I finally met Kanae's sister," Mitsuri said, her eyes twinkling with excitement. "Are you going to follow in your sister's footsteps? We're having an election this month for this year's council. Do you want to at least be a member of it? The Hashiras?"

"Yeah, my sister kind of forced me into joining. I don't mind, though," I replied with a shrug.

"Wahh, yay!" Mitsuri exclaimed, clapping her hands together in delight.

"Why are they called Hashiras, anyway?" I asked, curious about the name.

"They are the pillars of the school, responsible for maintaining order and keeping the peace. They hold the institution together," she explained. I nodded, taking in the information. "It takes guts to become one. And once you are one, you have to uphold the oath you swore."

"Excuse me," Tomioka appeared between us. We were standing at the doorway, having just come from the cafeteria.

I stepped aside to let him pass. He walked away, and once he was back at his seat, I found myself staring at him. When he realized I was looking, he quickly looked away.

"Is he really that uptight?" I asked Mitsuri.

"Hmm? Who? Tomioka?" she asked. I nodded. "Oh yeah, he just dislikes conversations."

"Ohh."

"But you know, he is a Hashira," she said, my eyes widening in surprise.

"Wait, for real?"

"Mhmm..." Mitsuri nodded.

"Oh wow. That's unexpected. I bet people dislike him," I giggled at the thought. Mitsuri chuckled.

Before Mitsuri can say something, a guy with a mask approached us, covering half of his face.

"Kanroji," he said calmly, though there was a hint of shyness in his voice, "Uhm... I want to give this to you." His cheeks tinged with a light shade of pink.

"Oh, hi, Iguro," Mitsuri smiled warmly at him. Mitsuri was slightly taller than Iguro, though I was shorter than both of them.

I'm really short.

"Miss Mitsuri, Mister Urokodaki was looking for you," a short guy with a soft voice tapped Mitsuri's shoulder.

"Okie, bye Shinobu, bye Iguro," Mitsuri said as she walked away, leaving me with Iguro and the small guy.

"Damn, you are so slow, Iguro!" We were approached once more by a muscular young man with a dashing demeanor.

"Shut up, Uzui!" Iguro retorted.

"You should be like me! I'm not slow with girls!" Uzui exclaimed, laughing heartily. Iguro gave him a sidelong glance. I decided to enter the room, leaving the three men behind.

"So, I heard you are a Hashira," I said, turning to Tomioka.

He seemed taken aback that I spoke to him. "Yes," he replied simply.

"So how is it?" I asked.

He shrugged, "Normal... I suppose."

"You know, you can talk more," I told him calmly.

"I refuse to."

"Oh, wow, you are rude-ish."

"That's what they often say," he replied.

"I bet people don't even like you," I added, somewhat playfully.