Back from the circus - 2

AVEN

Pulling into the driveway, I realize I'm more scared than anything. What if he hates me for leaving, or what if he doesn't remember me at all.

Tyson resenting me would hurt more than getting locked up did, but I would do it in a heartbeat if I could hide him away from the evils the world holds for as long as I can. A pure-hearted seven-year-old shouldn't know that his sister was behind bars for a year.

Alex breaks me out of my thoughts "Hey, don't overthink it. I know you are."

"I can't help but have thoughts about it. I don't want him to hate me." I tell him, my voice laced with uncertainty.

"He doesn't, I promise you that. I make sure I tell him about all your adventures at the circus two or three times a week." He smiles.

I smile back at him, thankful that he would keep me a good reputation while I was gone. "Thank you. You're the best little brother I have." I quickly climb out of the car knowing he's going to scold me for that.

"Hey, it's three minutes! You're only older by three minutes! I'm hardly younger than you!" He exclaims with fake anger.

I laugh, walking up to the door. He follows me, unlocking the door with the keys.

I walk inside the noticeably quiet house. I spin to face him. "Where's Tyson? He was never this quiet before I left." I observe

He smiles and sighs. "He's still not quiet. I swear that kid never shuts up." We laugh together at that. "He's at school. I have to go pick him up in a couple of hours. Wanna come?"

I really do wanna come, but I already know I'll need a few moments to myself before Tyson gets home from school. "No, I'll stay. Get settled back in, you know."

He nods in understanding. "I get it. Why don't you go shower, I'll make some lunch while you're in there."

I smile and nod. I quickly give him a hug. "Thank you. I love you"

"So much" he finished. He pushes me out of the hug. "Go on now. Shower, I'll make our food."

"You seem so eager to get rid of me. You just got me back." I fake pout, teasing him.

"Honestly you just smell. Jail did you no good."

We both laugh as we walk in different directions of the house.

It really is good to be back with my best friend.

Walking up the stairs, I pause at the top as I look at my bedroom door. A place that used to be my sanctuary now vacant.

I open the door, taking in the almost unfamiliar feel of being in my room.

Wasting no time I grab a simple outfit of sweatpants and a hoodie hoping they fit, and move into my bathroom for a shower.

Getting in the shower I'm thankful for the hot water and products that actually benefit my hair, unlike the ones we got provided in jail.

I smile as I lather my hair in my old vanilla-scented shampoo and conditioner along with my body wash. Never again will I take advantage of  these luxuries again.

I get out of the shower, putting on the sweatpants and hoodie I grabbed earlier. I stand in the middle of my bedroom, soaking in what I've missed in the last year.

Completely lost in thought, I didn't realize how much time passed of me just standing there until Alex calls me downstairs for lunch.

•••