Are we like pilgrims? - 3

AVEN

"Sleep on it," they say. "You'll know when you wake up the next morning."

I thought those people were stupid. How could sleep determine a decision you're going to make, right?

But sleep was effective because now I'm packing to move from the town I grew up in, all the way to the state of Oregon.

When Alex proposed the idea of leaving to move across the country, I thought he had lost his mind. That was until I realize I had nothing to lose. This households so many bad memories that they override the good ones and the only two people I care about would be coming with me.

So this morning after I woke up, I told Alex to start packing because I was taking up his idea.

Any normal person would be upset that they are leaving their childhood home but for me, it's almost a relief. I was worried when Alex brought up the idea, but the more I think about it, I'll be glad for the clean slate that's going to come with it.

I'm excited to be going into a new city where people don't look at me with a funny look because they know my family. Or what happened to them, what happened to me.

I'm glad to be leaving a town where everyone living in it is nothing but judgmental to the people they think they know but don't.

I just finished packing when a knock comes from my door. Alex. He opens the door, not waiting for my response.

"Hey, I just finished with Tyson. Are you ready to go? If we don't leave now we'll miss our plane." He says.

"I just finished. Let's go." I respond, walking out of my bedroom door.

Tyson is already waiting by the door when we finish walking down the stairs.

"Come on let's go! Let's go!" He exclaims, jumping up and down.

"Go get in the car Ty, we'll be there in a few minutes." I laugh at his antics.

"Does this mean we are like pilgrims?"

I roll my eyes. "No Tyson they were on a ship. We aren't. Go get in the car." I repeat.

"Ok"

As soon as he's out the door I turn to Alex. "He's so excited." A frown sketches onto my face at the realization that he has no idea why we're leaving.

Alex pulls me into a hug, feeling my upset mood. "Don't worry about it too much. That's why we're moving anyway. Clean Slate remember?"

A little bit of relief washes over me. "You're right. Let's go before Tyson loses his mind and we miss our plane."

•••

I can feel the change in atmosphere as soon as we step outside of the airport. It's so warm.

I'm not sure my body was prepared for a drastic change like this.

The sunny weather here in Oregon is so much different than the cold weather in New York.

That's the first good thing about this state so far. I've always been a sucker for warm weather.