Chapter Eight

Beep...beep...beep...

I hate that sound. That sound meant another failure, another breath, and another day.

Goddamnit.

My chest tightened. I opened my eyes, squinting against the harsh brightness of the room. I propped myself up on my arms, ignoring the sharp pain that shot up my forearm.

Beep..beep..beep..beep..beep..

I buried my face in my pillow, gradually slowing my breathing and heart rate. Turning over, I looked to the door to see that it was open, and someone was approaching the room.

I groaned, letting my head fall back onto the thin pillow wearily.

"I see you're awake," Richard said from the doorway.

"No shit, Sherlock," I rasped.

"This is the fifth time, I believe, that I've seen you in here this year, Sam. We may as well just give you the room," he joked lightly. "But I have to ask, why so sudden? Why now of all times? You knew that it wasn't going to work, that Mason was already at the door, yet you still tried it."

"If you don't try, you'll never know." I said dryly.

"Wise," he commented. Richard looked over his shoulder, nodding his head. Looking back to me, he said, "I'll leave you two alone while I go get the doctor."

Mason freaking Harpern walked through the door.

And as he opened his mouth to speak, I beat him to it.

"Screw you,"

Mason closed his eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again. "Look, I know you're upset but-"

"Upset!?" I exclaimed. "I am way past upset! I am goddamn pissed!"

Mason's face dropped. "Sam-"

"You should know," I hissed. "You should know what it's like to wake up in a hospital bed, knowing that you failed. To know that you're just what they always said; a failure. There are some people in life who just don't want you in this world, and in my case, that's me. I don't want to be here, so why should I have to?"

"Sam, I-"

"You what? You thought you were helping me? Because you weren't,"

"I-I'm sorry," he choked.

I leaned my head back against the wall, sighing. I could feel the anger leave my body, exhaustion taking its place. "Whatever,"

And with that, I succumbed to the hazy darkness known as sleep, Mason's words replaying softly in the back of my mind.

"I'm sorry,"