Chapter 7- Better in Time

Niall

Dr. Bailey stood waiting to take me back to my assigned room when I walked into the oncology ward for the second time around, my four band mates at my side.

"Are you ready to go Niall?" She asked kindly, after we had gone over to meet with her. Harry, Louis, and Zayn made sure to introduce themselves, as this was their first time officially meeting my doctor.

I was about to answer. I was about to tell her I was finally ready to get started with everything. But instead, I looked around and took in the real scene of the oncology ward for the first time. I glanced at all the sick people that surrounded us, all in varying stages of treatment, some wheelchair bound, and others attached to I.V poles and heart monitors.

I could feel the same anxiety that had had thrown me over the edge the night before start to spread through out my body once again, and my chest became tight. I tried to take a deep breath, but even that small task seemed to be impossible at the moment. I stood there, completely still and unable to move. I began to feel dizzy, and the room tilted slightly.

"Niall? Mate?"

"Nialler?"

"Breath Niall. C'mon."

I could vaguely make out the voices of my bandmates, and the voice of my concerned doctor, working to bring me back, get my attention, but I only began to panic more as I realized that I would be one of the sick people in just a few weeks time. Or maybe even a few days. There was really no way to tell. I took a step back from where everyone was standing, and gave a quick glance at the exit. I looked, first to my doctor, then to my mates, and back to the exit once more, shaking my head slightly.

"I-I can't.." I mumbled, taking yet another step back.

"Niall. Please. Breath. Remember what I told you last night. Remember last night. Focus on those words. You can do this."

It was Zayn's voice that pulled me back to where I needed to be. I remembered his encouraging words, the ones that had grounded me when I needed it most, and I instantly felt calmer. I closed my eyes for a moment as I took in a few deep breaths and regained the confidence I had previously come in with today. I opened my eyes again after a second.

'I can do this.' I reassured myself, and I nodded slightly.

"I'm ready." I said, looking back to my doctor, who wore a concerned look on her face.

She smiled kindly however when I met her eyes, and proceeded to lead us all back to the reserved room Liam and I had been shown a week before.

Upon walking inside, I realized that the room hadn't changed much at all since I'd last seen it. The only difference was the neatly folded set of hospital garments that laid on the bed now, waiting to be used.

"This room is..not what I was expecting. " Louis stated, impressed after having got a good look around.

"It's huge!" Harry added, sounding quite pleased as he too inspected the size and interior.

Zayn grinned widely as he took it in.

Dr. Baily laughed a bit at the awestruck expressions on their faces. Despite the overwhelming feeling of nervousness that I was experiencing at the moment, I couldn't help but smile as well.

"So what now?" Liam asks, voicing my exact thoughts in the moment.

Dr. Bailey cleared her throat.

"Now we need to get Niall here ready for his procedure, which is scedualed to be in a half hour."