Chapter 5

The young boy stood before her. His dead eyes met hers as she stood in the playground before him. The rope that had held him up before lay limply past his shoulder; he was very much alive.
Katrina couldn't move.

'Who are you?'

She asked, and the young boy smiled, 'Emmit... My name is Emmit, and who may you be?'

'Katrina'.

'It's nice to meet you, Katrina'.

He was rather formal, but there was more to this, 'what happened, Emmit? I saw you being hung up... I'm sorry I didn't save you-'.

'There was no point because I was already dead'.

She was growing cold, and she tried to keep herself warm, 'you were already dead?' She repeated in a questioning tone, and Emmit nodded, 'I wasn't alive when you saw me, so you wouldn't have been able to save me', he looked down at his feet, 'and you would've been killed if you tried to'.

She wanted to know who it was that was also in the playground. She wanted to know who was hanging him.

'Who is he? Who was the person who hung you?'

Who was your killer?

Emmit tried to speak, but his voice came out as white noise, and Katrina cursed as she struggled to hear him.

'What!? I can't hear you!'

She couldn't even move from her spot; it was like her feet were glued to the ground. Emmit tried to speak again, but still, there was nothing.

Why couldn't she hear?

She tried her best not to cry in frustration because it wasn't Emmits' fault. He was dead... The poor boy was over, and she couldn't do anything about it.

You could find the person who did it... Put him to rest.

+

Katrina sat up from the bed but not too frantic as John hadn't awoken from his slumber. She watched him closely and smiled; he looked so peaceful. 
She climbed out of bed and grabbed her jacket, making her way into the kitchen to make herself a drink. She boiled the water and waited to see if John would wake up and join her, but he didn't.

Deep sleeper.

Her eyes wandered around the kitchen but stopped when they landed on a ring. A ring that did not fit a man; it was small, too small. She examined it for a few moments and noted that it looked rather dirty. It didn't look like a wedding ring of any kind, so that it couldn't have been his deceased wife's... Right? Before she placed the ring back onto the counter, she noticed something engraved on the inside of the dirty band. She could have cleaned the ring, but something told her that she should leave it the way it was, but she did chip away at the dirt on the inside so that she could see the writing.

Jackson.

John Jackson? A bit of an odd name, but then again, many people could have strange names. She sighed and put the ring back where it was found, and made her drink. It had hit one o'clock Jesus, I overslept, she didn't have anywhere else to go but to head home, which was alright, but she would have to check and see what John was doing today because she didn't want to get in his way.
The drink was hot in her hands, but the weather was the opposite, the clouds had rolled in and blocked the sun once again, and it was the middle of the afternoon. Emmit, the boys' name was Emmit... Well, that's what the boy in her dream had said. She could be wrong.
Katrina then looked over to the tv and decided to see if the news had gone through. And sure enough, when she switched it on, she saw the playground behind a young reporter. The woman's voice echoed through Katrinas' head as she watched her; she was dressed in a tight pink dress covered slightly by a dark coat. The microphone in her hand seemed too big for her. What brought Katrina out of her stupor was when she heard a familiar name.

'Fifteen-year-old, Emmit Jackson-'.

That was all Katrina caught before she had got up from the couch and made her way over to the kitchen counter to look at the ring once more. She read it correctly, Jackson, Emmit Jackson?
This ring could have belonged to the young boy... But why would John have it? She quickly hid the ring in her pocket when she heard footsteps coming through the hall. John appeared a few moments later, rubbing his eyes, 'hey, you're already awake'.

'Yeah, do you want a drink?'

'Yes please, coffee white one sugar thanks'.

John must have noticed how tense she had become, 'are you okay? You don't look so well. Was I too rough with you?'
Katrina laughed at what he said, 'oh god, no, you're perfect; it's just that the kid's on the news. They've got his name, Emmit Jackson'.

'Emmit? Sounds unique... I feel sorry for the family'.

As we all should... But something isn't right.

'I know you said not to think about it, but it scared me at how casual the person was when they were hanging the dead boy'.

John frowned, 'you were there for quite some time, and you didn't see the persons' face?' Katrina shook her head in dismay, 'no, and I wish I did'.
John was quiet as he tapped his fingers against the porcelain cup that he had chosen for her. His eyes roamed around the kitchen counter at the same time.

'Everything alright?'

'Hmm?'

'You're spacing out'.

John smiled gently, 'sorry, still trying to wake up', he looked wide awake, so he was lying, but Katrina didn't want to start anything.
Instead, she turned her attention back to the tv and saw Emmit Jacksons' face this time. The boy in her dream; looked exactly like the boy on the screen. Katrina pressed her hand against her jean pocket, feeling the ring against her palm. This ring belonged to this boy, and somehow John had ahold of it, and it was dirty as well.

'John?'

'Hmm?'

'What were you doing out that night?'