CHAPTER SEVEN | I NEVER SAW YOU COMING

"Oh my gosh! These are absolutely beautiful, guys!" Raya exclaimed as her costumes were being wheeled towards her, delicately brushing her hands over them. "So stunning."

Edith smiled at the compliments showered by the girl, quietly thanking her with a nod. Lily glanced at the dress before she told the girl, "You've got to try one of them on, Che Che."

Edith looked over at Sammy and two other people, who nodded their heads with approval, before she took the one Raya's going to wear for Something to Believe In through the Finale and guided the curly haired girl to the dressing room, saying, "You'll need help with the corset."

A few minutes later, Raya slid into the room with a T-pose, asking them, "How does it look?"

Howie chuckled at her antics. "You look incredible, R."

"Oui!" Antoine said as he put a Newsboy cap on his head. "Une belle femme."

"Thanks, Ant."

Zack entered the room, clapping his hands together, a confused look on his face. "Raya, uh, someone's outside, asking for you."

"Oh."

Cash usually called ahead when he's coming to visit her in North High, Momma Caswell did too, EJ was at Water Polo practice, and MJ and AJ are at dance. What's going on this time?

After she changed back into her casual clothing, Raya walked out of the room and out to the hallway to be met by a man in a white shirt with a black jacket over it, hair clearly buzzed, and he seemed so nervous, was rubbing his palms together, murmuring encouraging words to himself.

"Hello?" Raya questioningly greeted, hesitating to wave.

The man jumped, spinning around and was now gaping at her, in awe and wistful. Still shocked, he whispered, "You look just like your mother."

"Who are you?"

"I'm Derek Walker," he replied, walking slowly towards her. "And, uh, I'm your father."

"Wait, what?"

Not that she was surprised by this man being her father, but he had the guts to show his face years later with no warning at all.

"I know it—"

"Why now?"

"Rachel, please hear me out."

Raya huffed, crossing her arms over her chest, arching her brows at the man, who nodded his head and began telling her about how he and her mother were so young when they were expecting her, and how he was so scared and completely unprepared for fatherhood. The last straw had been how his own mother treated Ramona terribly that it seemed like it was a better option for them that he wasn't there at all, so they wouldn't be tormented.

"And I really want to get to know you. I just... I want to know more apart from you're into theatre like Ramona was and that you tend to audition for white roles," Derek said, pointing over at the costume room's door. "Your teacher said so, at least. And you're in a band, apparently."

"I am in a band, and we've got a huge gig so just... wanted to let you know that my schedule's full," Raya awkwardly told the man before she walked backwards to the costume room. "I'll see where you fit in there."

Derek looked disheartened, but he gave a forced smile, saying, "Okay. Um, me and... my..."

"New family?"

"Yeah. We, uh, we're here for the month so, just call me with this number if you want to see me," he told her, holding out a piece of paper. "I'll see you when you call, Rachel."