Chapter 3

Jamie

"All my troubles on a burning pile... All lit up and I start to smile- Oh shit- Uhm- Hello?"

I got distracted by my ringtone and almost forgot to answer the phone; happens to me a lot. Maybe I should change the tune to a song I like less.

"Just letting you know you forgot some books in the locker room." That is the unmistakable voice of Marlene. On the other side of the line, a Miley Cyrus song is blaring in the background. "History. Both volumes. They have your notes inside and all. You want me to stop by and drop them off?"

I put my hand quickly in my backpack and I check that, indeed, I am missing my two huge history volumes. "Damn it," I curse. In any other circumstance, I wouldn't have cared, but we have an exam in two days. "Shit just- Are you too far?"

I'm standing in front of my bedroom door, not even inside yet, and when Marlene tells me she's a couple of blocks from here, I lean my forehead against the wood, sighing with relief.

In just a few minutes, Marlene is already in front of my house. When she knocks on the door, I run downstairs to let her in. She looks the same as me, in terms of the red face and a shoulder bag full of sweaty clothes. We got out of training just half an hour ago, and she too has wet hair and is wearing sweatpants with the drawstring undone.

Marlene is one of my teammates. She and I, along with Emmeline Vance, are the only girls on an all-guy football team. She is the typical blonde girl with tan skin and light eyes who looks like a character from Baywatch. We don't go out much together, except in training or parties where we meet. Out of all Lily's friends, she is perhaps the one I have the most relationship with.

As soon as she sets foot on the porch, she slams the books against my chest and walks in without being invited. "Don't you think Justin was a complete jerk in training today?"

I blink slightly confused as I close the door and follow her into the kitchen. "Make yourself comfortable," I add sarcastically.

"I was on it," Marlene replies nonchalantly, opening my fridge and grabbing a can of soda. "Look, I'm exhausted. Lily and I are thinking of skipping classes tomorrow and studying until late in the library; her notes are literally perfect," she takes a sip of her soda, "I asked her if you could come," my face lights up, "She said no."

I drop my shoulders in disappointment and sit in a chair across from Marlene with resignation. "Why would you tell me that?"

She shrugs. As if she just remembered something, she looks around her. "Hey, now that I'm here," she places her elbows on the kitchen island and leans toward me, speaking more quietly, "Is she here?"

It takes me a while to realize who's talking. "Is who here?" Marlene gives me an impatient look. "What-? Oh. You mean she."

She raises her eyebrows pleased. "Where is she?"

"Her room," I roll my eyes, getting comfortable in my seat, "You see, she doesn't like me too much. The first thing she turned to me for was to make it clear that she had a wonderful and perfect boyfriend and that she wanted nothing to do with my flirtatious lesbian stuff."

Marlene puts a hand to her mouth, her eyes widening and looking at me. "You tried to flirt with her?"

I groan. "Of course not!" I look at her shaking my head. "She is Sirius's sister! I know better than to piss him off like that. Besides, I have a girlfriend. Or, future girlfriend rather, but still."

Marlene is considerate enough not to comment on the last thing I said. "Then why...?"

"I was just trying to be nice. Told her we could get along to make this all easier for everyone and she went like 'I already have a boyfriend to get along with'. And then, the icing on the cake was when just fifteen minutes ago I walked in on them."