Chapter 5

Regulus

Your so punished the notification pops up on my phone the moment Sirius replies to my story You're* I text back.

"If he thinks he can actually punish me," I mumble, gripping the phone tightly. "He'll find out what's what."

"Told you," Barty is sprawled next to me on the bed, vaping. The smoke smells of vanilla, and it makes me want to get closer to his face to get a better smell. "Your brother is a cunt. You never should've left."

I look at him askance. "Just because we're having some issues doesn't mean I'm going to go back to my parents' house," Barty rolls his eyes, "I just... I want him to not try to act like some stupid guardian who won't let me live. I know how to take care of myself."

He puts his hand on my knee and gives me a squeeze, trying to be affectionate. "You cut him too much slack. He doesn't deserve that."

"It was just a silly argument, Barty, it's nothing serious."

He grabs a strand of hair and tucks it behind my ear. "You think?"

"I do," I state firmly. He shrugs, and I let out a sigh, fiddling with the phone in my hands. "My mother has been calling me all day, I have at least twenty missed calls. I just hope she gets tired soon."

"If she bothers you, just block her number." I lick my lips awkwardly. I know I should block her number, I just... Don't want to yet. "Or you could, I don't know, call her and tell her that her arsehole son didn't kidnap you and that you deliberately left."

That felt like a slap in the face. "Why are you trying to make me feel guilty about all this?" I snap, removing his hand from my knee, "You seem to be upset that I've left my home."

Barty throws his head back as if I exasperated him greatly. "The one who is miserable and doesn't dare to block her mother's number is you," he looks at me sideways, "I'm just saying that I think the remedy is worse than the disease."

"How is Sirius worse than my parents?" I exclaim.

"Don't yell at me, I'm just giving you my opinion. I can't even speak now?"

"I didn't ask for your opinion!"

"Well, I'm sorry to tell you that this is a free country. And as your boyfriend, I think I have the right to have an opinion about certain aspects of your life." I'm still in my bra sitting on the mattress of Barty's bed; I look at him with an angry face and I get up abruptly, picking up my sweater from the chair. "What are you doing?" he asks, his tone irritated.

"I didn't come here to argue with you too," I mutter bitterly, "I'd rather go and work things out with Sirius than have you talk to me like I'm stupid."

"I'm not talking to you like-"

"Yes, you are!"

He shakes his head and falls back on the bed, putting a hand to his forehead. "Look," I'm just finishing tucking my sweater under my skirt and I don't plan on 'looking' anything, honestly, "Reg," seeing me not stop, he pushes himself up on his elbows, "Regulus."

"What," I reply coldly.

"Stop," he tells me, "I don't want to argue, okay? Your life, your decisions," I look at him with narrowed eyes, "Don't look at me like that. I'm just saying that your parents are probably worried and your brother is an immature, irresponsible person, and quite unreliable-"

"My parents worry about nothing but their legacy, which I have no plans to carry on," my jaw is tight, and my teeth are clenched so tightly as I hold Barty's gaze that it hurts. "I don't care if you think that's okay or not."