5

Under the solitude of her room, Penelope finally has the chance to try and wrap her head around everything. Penelope is soon interrupted by her maid Sophi who asks her if she wants some tea. Still a bit irritated from her earlier encounter with her father and aunt; Penelope snapped at Sophi.

     "Can't you see I don't want to be interrupted?" Penelope retorts.

"My apologies Ms.Valentine, I just thought it might help your anxieties," Sophi softly apologized.

     "Tea would be fine " responded Penelope.

"My lady?" Penelope her bodyguard came in.

"Please tell me you didn't see that," Penelope said suddenly embarrassed of her previous outburst.

Penelope felt like dirt at that moment. She hated herself for the way she had responded to Sophi, who had watched over her since the age of ten.  At the moment it felt like her world was crashing down on top of her and she didn't know what to do to save herself let alone her mother's empire. The weight of her mother's legacy was now on her shoulders alone.

Sebastion only frowned, looking at her worriedly;

"Don't look at me like that Sebastion; I already sort of feel bad," Valentine said. 

"Are you alright Ms.Valentine?" Sebastion questioned.

"I'm fine, I'm just under a lot of pressure right now, and please you know you can call me  Penelope,"  she whispered under her breath.

     Just then Sophi, after a soft knock, walked back into the room with a tray of hot cups of coffee and tea.

Penelope instantly smiled at the scent of ginger from the tray of tea and the sight of ginger cookies.

"Is the cup of coffee for me?" Sebastion asked.

Sophi quickly nodded, "I hope it's to your satisfaction sir."

Sebastion met her nervous smile, with a dazzling smile of his own;
his brown eyes meeting Sophi's hazel eyes, sent her chubby cheeks aflame.

     Penelope couldn't help rolling her eyes. 

Before the young maid could leave, Penelope gave her a quick apology,

"I'm sorry about earlier Sophi, I didn't mean to snap at you." 

"The fault is mine alone my lady," Sophi responded to Valentine while sneaking glances at Sebastion. 

Penelope, then went on to reach over and dust off invisible lint from Sebastion's shoulder; taking his attention from Sophi.

Sophi took that as her dismissal; excusing herself from the room.

     Now that she had Sebastion's attention she took some time to drink in his appearance before they sat at her tea table; it wasn't a surprise that Sophi was so smitten with him.

Sebastion opened his arms and Penelope allowed herself to be enveloped by his warm embrace.

She laid her head on his chest as he pets her head just like he used to when she was ten and he was twenty. 

 Seven years later, This became a rare display of physical affection from Sebastion, who took it upon himself to 'protect her reputation.' 

Penelope suddenly felt like she was being watched and Sebastion seemingly had the same thoughts as he slowly broke the embrace and scanned the room.

Once seated, Penelope sipped on her warm ginger tea while Sebastion sipped on his hot cup of coffee.

"I feel like a chess piece in my wicked aunt's game Sebastion; my heart and mind are miles apart," Penelope said softly.

"You are who you are Milady, free and forever worthy, no one, not even your aunt can change that, piccolina (little one in Italian) " Sebastion answered.

They sat in a comfortable silence that was only broken when Penelope's aunt called for her whereabouts.

     "I shall be on my way Milady,'' Sebastion said standing.

Before he could leave Penelope grabbed hold of one of his tone arms, becoming a little flustered in doing so. Penelope couldn't deny she had once had a massive crush on the handsome man growing up.

"Sebastion, will you always be by my side?"

Sebastion looked into Valentine's watery brown eyes.

"When you need me I'll be there; I would die before letting any harm get to you milady," Sebastion said earnestly. 

"Thank you, Sebastian," whispered Penelope.