Carol's Opportunity

"I need to know now, are you in or are you not?" Dexter Thomas, said as he stood in the studio talking to Carol Mace.

Carol smiled, she wanted to accept Dexter's offer to take her on tour to promote their upcoming duet. She really enjoyed recording with Dexter, but he seemed to be losing patience with Carol's lack of certainty.

"You do know I'm in another successful group. I can't just go off on tour without seeing what responsibilities I have to them." Carol said.

"I knew you were in a group, when I asked to sing with you, but I don't think you understand what I am offering you right now. You are in a group, but let's face it. It's gospel, I'm offering to take you into a much larger world."

"What's wrong with gospel? It does more than pay the bills." Carol said.

"AAANNNDD." Dexter emphasized. "...you are in a group, a group that has too many singers."

"What are you talking about?"

"You guys have released three singles since you signed that contract after that Gospel singing show. Linda Burton sang solo on one of the songs. Another song featured that brother who always loses his voice. What's his name?"

"Tommy Settles." Carol said.

"Yeah, Settles. The last one, that young cat and settles shared lead on."

"OK...Is this going somewhere?" Carol responded.

"I can't even hear your voice on any of those songs." Dexter said.

"Well, I was recovering from a car accident."

"I don't care why, I'm just telling you what happened. You have been replaced in Living Praise. Linda Burton has replaced you."

"You don't know the inner workings of Living Praise." Carol said.

Dexter laughed, "That brother who can't sing and Linda Burton are an item now. I see them at all the gospel events giving out awards. Where were you at the Gospel World? Were you presenting?"

"I'm in a group Dexter, and they are not replacing me."

"You are right, they aren't replacing you, they have replaced you. It is time for you to start thinking about yourself. Cause that fat sista don't take no stuff, and she will kick your backside out as soon as she gets a chance."

"Mary? Naw, now you out of line. This group is my life, when I had my accident they were there. All of the supported me, you can't tell me what you are trying to tell me." Carol said defensively.

Dexter stood there for a moment staring at Carol. He then drug his hand through his short afro and then said, "I am looking for someone willing to tour. We can sing together, your soprano perfectly compliments my voice. I want you to come with me. There I said it, I want you to come."

"I got some things to work out."

"Have you even talked to them about this song coming out? Our duet."

"Well not yet."

"Not yet? You ain't talked to them yet. I'm gonna announce this in a week and you haven't told them?"

"A lot is going on Dexter."

Dexter picked up some papers and said looked at them as he ignored Carol. He then said, "We got work to do and you are still playing games. Why did I fool with you?"

He walked into the recording booth.

He then told Carol to press record. Carol knew he was simply getting out of her presence. He had been very patient with her. A few months before Dexter ran into her at a Gospel concert and asked if she wanted to sing a song with him. 

After a little time in the studio suddenly they had five songs and were writing and singing together. She was supposed to talk to Living Praise to get some time off so that she could work with Dexter, but the time was never right.

Right after she healed from the accident, she was quickly in the studio attempting to add parts in. But Dexter was right, Linda had done such a good job that there was little to add. 

Dexter was also right that Living Praise seemed to have less need for a secondary soprano, except as a backup maybe.

Carol hated to think like that because they did treat her as a member of the family always there to help her regain her strength, but Carol did note that her voice was less prominent in the new releases.

Dexter continued to sing as Carol listened through the headphones. She knew that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Dexter Thomas had a string of hits eight years before but took a hiatus to do a few movies. 

Carol moved a few knobs on the mixer as she attempted to both listen to Dexter and keep her thoughts in check.

She continued thinking about Dexter. He was trying to get back into singing and now she was holding him back. But she just didn't want to leave Living Praise. She wondered if there was a way that she could do both. 

She loved singing with him, but she also loved working with him. Their chemistry really was something to behold. He was a little rough around the edges though, but Carol knew how to get him in check. Well except when it came to Living Praise. 

Dexter finished the song and came out of the booth. "How was it?" Dexter asked.

"You know it was good. Check it." She then pressed a button and the song started playing. Dexter started smiling.

"I think it is time to bring a producer in, we really can take this to the next level." Dexter said. 

"Well uh..."

"As soon as you decide you are ready to invest in your future rather than continuing to live in your past." 

Carol thought about responding, but she knew that she hadn't fully made up her mind yet. She said, "Just give me a few more weeks."

"I ain't gonna wait forever." Dexter said. 

Now it is your turn to go into the booth. 

Carol walked into the booth ready to sing her part.