the one with the lemon loaf

Tuesday started off a little rougher

Tuesday started off a little rougher. I had to get up early in the morning so I could bring my father a piece of each loaf I had made. I always made sure that he could taste it before it went on the menu. In this case, the boys had practically already convinced me on which one would go in though I still left the choice up to my father.

I wore fleece tights with a skirt and a sweater today as it wasn't too cold outside. My high heel boots made a clicking sound at each step I took until my feet stopped next to my dad's bed. I greeted him warmly, excitedly handing him two perfectly cut pieces of lemon loaf. He thanked me and got right to taste testing.

"Which one did they approve?" He asked, carefully biting into the second one.

"Both, though they did have a little preference for one of them but I'm not saying which." I teasingly admitted, almost one hundred percent sure he would chose the same.

"It's gotta be this one." He pointed to the first one he tasted, the one with the raspberry icing. "The twist is present but much more subtle. You can taste both the lemon and the raspberry perfectly without getting tired of either. That's the winner."

I smiled, nodding my head at him. "Ding, ding, ding! That's the one who goes straight to the menu." I excitedly spoke. I always loved adding new things to the menu, it always felt refreshing to me.

My father approved, letting me go on with my day after I told him I'd come back to see him soon. I kissed his cheek and left, going straight to the café. It wasn't open yet, that's how early I was. So I had more than enough time to set the new menu as well as make a batch of the new lemon loaf for our early birds.

I texted Yasmine, telling her she could come in a bit later if she wanted to as I'd be able to open the café myself. She thanked me and I went straight to work.

The day started off slow, it was 6 o'clock on a Tuesday morning after all. People were going to come in soon with high expectations as usual. I was more than ready, everything was clean and ready for them. I served everyone that came in and out with a smile on my face, always suggesting our brand new item on the menu. I was surprised to see how many people actually did accept my offer. By 7 o'clock, I had gone through two lemon loafs.

As soon as Jasmine came in, I hurried to make another one. I gushed to her about how well it was doing and she congratulated me, saying she couldn't wait to taste it. The rest of the day was pretty busy but uneventful, so I let Jasmine take off earlier and thanked her for her help - as always. I closed up the café, counting the money and being very happy with the amount we made just from the new loaf.

I called up my father, letting him know how well it was doing as I locked up Cup o' Joe. The boys had texted me to meet them at our favourite pub and luckily for me it was a walking distance from here. As I talked to my father, I went straight to the pub. I hung up right before walking in and headed straight to the bar. I ordered a beer as well as some food and pointed to the guys' table to let them know where to drop off the food.