Our love that lasts forever

It has been a little more than two hours since... since...

Mulder didn't really know exactly what to call it. Since they'd been shocked out of their minds? That seemed about right. He and Scully had talked for what seemed like forever about what they wanted to do. It was all so confusing.

Scully was supposed to be barren! William had been a miracle, and even then, he had turned out to be... well... abnormal. Was this child doomed to have the same fate?

And even if this was a normal pregnancy, what part was he supposed to play in it? Scully seemed to have no doubt that he was the father; that even seemed obvious to him. But still. Were they toghther? They had been having sex on and off, sleeping over at each other's houses, having movie nights and date nights, but even then, Mulder couldn't be sure. He never could be when it came to Scully.

They had been at the hospital for longer than the insurance covered. When it had run out, Mulder had quietly paid extra, letting Scully rest.

After a while of discussing, Scully had started to nod off. Mulder traced circles on her hand, soothing her. When she was finally asleep, he stood up to leave. However, as he stood up, her eyes flitted open.

"Mulder?" she murmured.

"Yeah Scully?" he whispered back.

"What time is it?"

"Umm, it's a little after 8." He answered gently.

"Stay with me." She said, pulling back the covers on the hospital bed.

"Are you sure?" he questioned. He didn't want to make her uncomfortable.

"Yes, I'm sure!" she said, with a hint of exasperation.

"Alright," he relented "but no funny business Ms. Scully! Strictly bed rest for you."

She giggled. "Fineee. But its so hard when I'm around you."

He chuckled, scooting into the bed with her. It was a good thing she was so tiny, or else they probably couldn't have both fit. The moment he closed his eyes, he relized how tired he really was. The world slowly started to fade away, the faint noises of the streets growing softer and softer and softer...

"Mulder?" Scully's voice cut though him like a blade. God, he loved her, but he wanted to sleep.

"MMm?" he replied half-heartedly.

"Sorry." She whispered. "I just wanted to know if..." she stopped abruptly. "Never mind, sorry."

That caught his attention. Scully rarely was sorry for something. She said what she meant; no apologies needed. He turned around to face her and saw a tear trickling down her face.

"Scully! What's wrong?" he asked, a little panicked.

"Nothing." She sniffled. "I'm sorry, I'm an emotional wreck."

"Scully," he said taking her face in his hands, "Please stop apologizing for yourself. You haven't done anything wrong."

She swallowed hard, trying to keep the hurt and the pain inside, like she always had done. "I have though." She replied tearfully. "I left, I fled. I left you all alone in that empty house, and I never came back. I left you like I didn't care about you. When the opposite was true. I cared about you so much. And I know you can never forgive me. I fucked up. In so many ways."

He sighed. "Scully you didn't fuck up. I did. It was all my fault. I don't know exactly where we went wrong, but I didn't listen to you. You told me to listen to you, to give up on my cray theories. And I never did. God knows where we'd be if you'd just given up on me before I even needed glasses. Before all this terrible stuff happened to you. You could have had a normal, happy life, with a normal, loving husband and lots of happy kids that you wouldn't have to give up."