chapter four

"You're kidding. Jamie?"

It was two days later when Blair and Connor were swinging their legs over the edge of a small, dilapidated wharf overlooking the vast stretch of a river. His head down, Connor could see the dark reeds swaying in the crystalline water, made visible by the warm afternoon light.

"I have to work with Jamie Corbin for the rest of the year," he confirmed.

Blair pressed their lips together in embarrassment.

A short silence allowed Connor to hear the light splashing of the water against the beams of the wharf.

"But I'll make it okay, I suppose. What, is he going to put me in hospital for letting an eggshell get into the recipe?"

Blair smirked. "Yeah, you'll be alright. The worst thing that can happen is him making you do all the work... and you can live with that. It'll be okay."

And just like that, Connor's mind blossomed with endorphins, silencing a source of stress that had been nipping at the back of his head for the past few days. All with a single reassurance.

He breathed in the air. "Anyway... what about you? How are you feeling these days?"

Blair's initial answer was guessable.

"I've been good."

It was always the development that enticed Connor. He shuffled even closer to them, taking in the tranquillising scent of their fragrance.

"I'm finally applying for some casual work. I got my résumé done over the holidays and I sent it out to a bunch of restaurants in the area. I'm ready to get into work."

"Yes! Finally," Connor said. "Look at you go."

"What are you, a counsellor?" Blair gave a face, which transitioned back into a smile. "But I am happy." They lightly kicked their legs back and forth.

"So, you're going to be a waiter, huh? Please tell me you applied to some French restaurants. I would kill to hear you speak it more."

Blair chuckled. "I actually did. And they probably won't take me on but, if they do, I'll work at one, for sure."

"That sounds really cool."

Connor checked the time on his phone. It was six o'clock. Although the sun was not setting yet, there was a lengthy distance to travel until the two of them got home.

"Okay. I think we should start heading back."

Blair pouted, their eyes shimmering. "Five more minutes?"

The sun grazed the crest of the rolling hills, fluffy with trees of a brilliant green. Its deep red rays shone through wisps of cloud. On the horizon directly opposite the sunset, the faintest traces of violet bled into the sky.

Connor let a breath trail out between his lips. "Five minutes won't hurt."

He leaned his head on Blair's shoulder and they shifted back, both allowing themselves to bask in their surroundings. There was an overwhelming comfort in these moments, which Connor never let himself forget. He knew that there would never be enough time to fully appreciate Blair's presence.

There almost came a fear of losing his friend and the times they shared, though his joy never failed to suppress it. He sat there, paralysed with his emotions until even his thoughts were silenced, and there was only the warmth of Blair's jacket and the breeze drifting around them.

It was during those final five minutes when Connor realised that he was ready for anything.

***