chapter seventeen

Jamie sleepily rubbed his cheek.

"Jamie," Connor said, "if you fall asleep behind the wheel, we'll never make it."

The driver yawned. "I'm fine. Just the earliest I've been up in years, I think."

Connor wasn't surprised. He sank lower into the passenger seat and watched the outside world roll by. The sky was clearer than the day before, and Connor drew from it, feeling more optimistic.

He felt better in that car than he had catching the train in the morning with Roxy.

Perhaps he only felt safe because of the stagnant figure next to him, in control despite having one hand on the wheel.

His school uniform brought out his best features, making him look put together. Connor could only imagine the air of importance and authority that Jamie would convey in a suit.

"Thank you," Connor muttered.

Jamie's cheeks filled and he put both hands on the steering wheel. "What for?"

Connor perceived him. He would never tire of Jamie and his soothing voice, which managed to calm his nerves at any time. Connor thought there was nothing stopping him from saying 'for everything', but he figured Jamie didn't need to know that.

Or he already knew.

"For agreeing to this. Coming early so we can spend time together, even if it's at school. And for driving us." The last sentence was spoken through a smirk.

"Of course," Jamie said. "Why wouldn't I?"

Connor was satisfied. The world rolled by. A short time later, Jamie began to slow down, finding a place near the school to park.

"Let's see how this goes..." Connor jeered, sitting himself up straight.

Jamie reversed, putting his hand against Connor's seat. His actions were slow, though deft for a teenager. Within a short period of time, they were parked parallel.

"You're better than I thought, I won't lie," Connor said.

"I hear that a lot."

Connor glared daggers at him.

"Kidding, obviously!"

Connor laughed and they left the car, making their way to the school. Although Jamie had woken up early, they still arrived later than Connor usually would have. They had five minutes to spare before the bell rang, so they sat down on a silver bench.

The two of them talked, but before long, they had to make their way to their first class. Connor had no clue how to feel about having Food Technology, especially since Jamie had not been at school when there were practical lessons.

That day, however, they were going to be cooking together. Connor momentarily thought of when they made the breakfast rolls. The memory, though recent, was already fond.

The hallway with the Technology classrooms greeted them as it did every other time. Connor walked in front, putting distance between himself and Jamie.

Ms. Stewart was ready to welcome them as soon as they reached the door.

"Come in," she said coldly. Then, her eyes narrowed at the sight of Jamie. "He's arrived on time? Must be a miracle."

Jamie scoffed, though he turned it into a grin. "Morning, miss."

Ms. Stewart was silent. The couple walked into the classroom, Connor sitting in his usual seat next to Leilani while Jamie sat on his other side, where Lily typically was.