10. i know you

Carl had seen and experienced his father in many different situations

Carl had seen and experienced his father in many different situations. Some of these situations might be unimaginable and frightening for other people, but not for Carl. Because he knew what Rick had gone through. What he had to go through to finally be able to make peace. He killed people to save his family. And Carl couldn't be happier to call Rick his father.

Even after today, he trusted Rick, even though he feared Deanna would kick him out. But then everyone would leave.

Even Elide, who was currently sitting quietly next to Carl in his room, doing nothing but stubbornly looking out the window.
Rick had been gone for quite a while and since what had happened outside, neither Elide nor Carl had said anything. Every time the girl turned her head to the boy, her heart broke a little more. That sad and dreamy look from Carl was very painful to watch. She didn't want to imagine what this boy had to go through. What he had to experience.

Sighing, Elide stood up. Carl, noticing her movements, looked up and tilted his head slightly. He didn't have his hat on today, allowing his hair to be seen in its full nature.

"Feel like going for a walk?" she asked him, holding out her hand with a slight smile. Pete had removed her bandages before the argument with Rick, leaving only faint traces of the injuries.

Elide was just as unsettled by the whole situation as Carl was, but she wanted to help him, maybe even as an excuse for their argument.

A smile crept onto Carl's soft-looking lips before he gently placed his hand on hers and let her pull him up. The sudden jerk brought the two teenagers closer than expected, almost touching the tips of their noses. Elide had always wondered what it meant to lose her breath, but now she knew. She was out of breath and the only thing she could look at were Carl's beautiful blue eyes that carried so much history but still held hope for new sightings.

"Thank you, El," he breathed softly and swallowed. Elide followed his gaze, which briefly jumped to her lips as she pulled away and let her hand slowly and gently slip from his. "Not for this. I've said things that maybe should have been left unsaid," she admitted, shrugging her shoulders.

Carl just shook his head. "Me too. Let's just leave it at that, okay?"

Nodding, Elide walked to the door where two hooks hung, holding Carl's blue jacket and his acquaintance flannel shirt. Elide stroked it with her fingertips and turned to the boy who was watching her curiously. "Can I wear these?"

Perplexed, the boy blinked a few times before taking a step towards Elide. "Why would you want to put them on?"

Sighing, Elide looked at the shirt again as a small smile crept onto his lips. "May I?"

Carl grinned and narrowed his eyes slightly, causing Elide to nearly have a heart attack. This boy just wouldn't let her think straight and even when Elide was supposed to be absolutely shit, she enjoyed every moment with Carl that made her feel alive.