Chapter 2- Pepa

Bruno disappeared ten years ago. Five years before that, I left Encanto. I woke up, and I was in another town. I was scared. I was a thirty-five-year-old woman, and my mother moved me like I was a five-year-old still attached to her mother's hip.

"Mami... Mami!" I screamed, thinking I was kidnapped.

Mom appeared in the doorway. "Hija?"

"We're not in Encanto!" I exclaimed.

My mother smiled softly. "Yes, dear. Far away from that dangerous place. We're safe now."

I was devastated. Mom took my life away from me. I was going to see Mirabel get her gift. I missed everything. Everything about the Madrigal grandchildrens' lives. The Madrigal cousins already treated me like I was their Tia. It was hilarious and kind of embarrassing.

I lived alone when Bruno left. Mom had died five years before. I looked like the glass I saw so many years ago. Gray hair striped into my (h/c) hair. I looked at the necklace as I sat in my armchair, reading.

Tears threatened my eyes. He was gone, and probably never coming back. The thought made my heart hurt and a lump form in my throat. It made me want to scream into the foggy air from the pain of losing the people I loved the most.

The mail arrived through the door slot. The daily newspaper. And a letter, which surprised me. No one sent me mail, since I kept to myself. I was getting old, and no one wanted to socialize with a stranger.

(Y/n).

I know I haven't seen you in a while, but Antonio's got his gift ceremony coming up. We would love for you to come. Las ninas miss you dearly. And I would love for you to come so we could catch up.

Sincerely,

Pepa Madrigal

Pepa. I really missed the woman. She was like my best friend, almost a tie to Bruno. When I considered him nothing more than my best friend. Even to this day, I couldn't figure out what exactly he was to me.

I packed a bag with a bunch of clothes. I put my necklace in the bag to avoid it breaking. I put it in a pair of socks. I packed another bag full of saved food. The journey was going to take at least three days.

I walked into town with the two bags over my shoulder. I held my umbrella, protecting myself from the rain. I worried about the ruana peeking out of the bag and tucked it back in. I didn't want it to get ruined.

I took my horse from the stable they kept in town. I attached the bags to the saddle and mounted the horse. I took off, two village children waving to me as the horse got faster and faster.

I couldn't wait to see my old friends again.