26

You carefully painted his nails, the energy of the room had lowered

You carefully painted his nails, the energy of the room had lowered. You were both exhausted, you more so after the emotional outburst, but at least you felt better now.

You felt a little deflated, a little emptier but for once the weight on your chest had lightened.

"You look really pretty, with your wet eyelashes clumped together."

You froze where you were sat opposite him. Your finger's stilled, the tip of the polish brush resting against the freshly painted nail.

You looked up to him with a confused expression, removing the brush and placing it back in the bottle.

"What?" You asked, an uncouth tone to your voice.

"I think eyelashes look pretty when they look like that." He spoke, nodding towards your eyes.

You picked up the next polish bottle, shaking it back and forth to mix the separated liquid to make it more homogenous.

"Don't look at me like that, you can't tell me there aren't little things you find beauty in? Humans can be so innately beautiful when you look at the details." He spoke.

You tossed that thought around your head, painting three neat stripes to cover the entirety of his nail.

"Shoulder freckles." You indirectly answered his questions.

"And when people laugh so hard that their eyes crinkle on the side."

He smiled at you, at the things you found beautiful and for the first time in a long time, you found yourself smiling as well.

"It's going to be okay." He said gently. "You're going to be okay."

.

Ethan dropped you off to Gus' store in the morning. You had been working there consistently, so much so that you had quit your other jobs.

The night with Ethan had brightened your spirits, but seeing a delivery truck and a new sunglasses stand made your smile even brighter. Gus stood out the front, clearly pleased with himself when he saw your reaction.

"The store is going to be flooded with customers soon, Gussy boy." You smiled, walking over to the new stands.

He picked up a red cat-eyed pair, holding them out for you.

"Don't you love trying them on?" He prompted when you hadn't taken them from him.

The corners of your lips pulled outwards with a smile, feeling the muscles in your cheeks tighten involuntarily. Having Gus remember small conversations made your heart melt, you hadn't had that experience with someone since Damiano. He used to do small things like that for you constantly, and this made you realise how much you missed him.

You laughed in an attempt to hide the smile that had faulted. You pressed the glasses over your face, looking in the mirror as you pulled out another pair for Gus to try on.

You stood there together, picking out almost every pair and swapping them constantly, laughing at the funny ones, smirking at the cool ones.

"The last ones." You said, pulling out a pair of coloured speed dealers.

He chuckled as you both slipped them on, looking ridiculous together.

"You know, I don't pay you to play with sunnies." He teased you, dimples forming either side of his easy smile.

"No, you pay me for my incredible company." You countered, hanging up the last pair of sunnies you had tried on.

"Very funny." He said deadpanned but you could see the trace of humour written in his features.

He slowly lead you back inside, shutting the door to the store behind you.

"What do you need me to do today?" You asked, looking around the orderly store.

He shrugged, walking to sit on one of the wheelie chairs at the back of the store.

"Hang out, find jobs, I don't know man." He spoke.

You shook your head, laughing to yourself. He was simultaneously a terrible and amazing boss.

"Sure." You told him, deciding you'd find your own jobs to keep busy.

You were halfway through organising old dockets you had found when Gus' voice stopped you.

"You need to go back there, lock the door."

You eyed him, you could see a trace of concern on his face. You lingered for a second, worried for him, but then you did as he said. Heading to the back room with a nervous energy kicking up, locking the doors behind you.

You could hear fighting not long later which made your heart race. You didn't know what was happening but you certainly didn't want to find out.

So you waited, with your fingers pressed into your ears to try and reduce the noise around you. You weren't sure how long had passed when Gus called you.

He said he handled it, but for once he didn't look so sure.

There was a nuanced expression in his body language, a lack of confidence following him in the air.