27

You didn't want to ask even though you wanted to know

Instead, you busied yourself with random jobs, simultaneously trying to figure out what had happened whilst trying to forget what you had heard.

The voices had been muffled, the words you did hear you didn't even understand, all you knew was something was going wrong.

Gus hadn't left the back room in hours, so much sos you actually checked to see that he was okay. You took back water and some food and you could see he was riddeled with stress. It manifested in the red of his eyes, the hunching of his shoulders and the pespiration that lined his brows.

You handed it over, leaning on the doorway. You didn't want to interupt, but you just wanted to check in.

"Are you okay? Can I help with anything?" You offered.

He shook his head, shutting his eyes as he rubbed over them with his thumb and index finger.

"If you knew what was good for you, you'd run in the opposite direction of me." He muttered.

He looked to you, as if expecting for you to agree but you knew he wasn't a bad person, so it must have been bad buisness.

"What is it?"

He shook his head.

He wasn't dissmissing you, rather not incriminating you. You couldn't be a witness, or an accessory if you knew absolutely nothing about what happened in the back room.

You took a breath, burying the worry and frustration.

"I've got you if you need, you know that right?" You offered instead.

You could tell this took him by surprise, his features softening.

"I appreciate that." He said sincerely.

You stood there for a moment longer, a comfortable silence. You knew he had work to get back to, you tapped twice on the door out of habit, before leaving back to the store.

You couldn't get your mind off of what was going on, so instead you distracted yourself by thinking of him.

You couldn't recall much about him from your schooling years, only that he was almost never at school. Your parents had always tried to teach you wrong from right, and although they had settled in the town they encouraged you to set yourself free.

You and Damiano both were encouraged, hence all the hours you spent planning your futures together. From when you were little and planned houses connected by a tunnel, all the way to recent years when you discussed your post school studies and jobs you were going to apply for.

It felt poignant recalling the memories, and you hoped one day you could remember it without the lingering sadness.

"Hey." You were shaken from your train of thought with the small noise.

You hadn't heard someone come im, but perhaps you were that distracted it hadn't aroused your attention.

You saw Damiano standing infront of you, a remoseful expression on his face. He was in a simple hoodie, withdrawn as he hugged himself, he looked insecure.

You raised the chocolate bar you were holding as if it would hold up as any sort of weapon. He took a step back raising his hands, as if trying to settle you.

"Wait, wait." He said softly. "I'm here to apologise."

The anger you had seen him bare lately had seemingly dissipated, leaving despondence in it's wake.

"What in God's good hell are you doing in this store!" Gus spoke, a sharpness to his tone you'd never heard before.

His shoulder were squared and he looked ready to throw another punch fron his stance in the doorway.

Damiano raised his hands to Gus, as if to plead for mercy.

"Look mate, I'm here to apologise. Can we talk?"

Gus' lip curled, but one glance to your hopeful face he let out a sigh. It was like he was watching a disaster unfold, but instead of fighting he just turned back around, letting Damiano know he wasn't welcome but wasn't being kicked out.

Damiano took his chance, following Gus in and after one final look back towards you he pulled the door shut behind him.

.

"I'm not forgiving you, get fucked." Gus spoke without filters now it was only him and Damiano in the small room.

He had always been gentle around you, stripping back his hardened exterior to reveal a softness you were sure no one else had seen.

"Not yet, at least." Damiano said earnestly, but after the look Gus gave him he realised the cockiness that could have been taken from the statement.

"Look I would have beat your ass to the gutter the minute you walked in if we were alone, but we weren't. I'm not leaving you any social graces, and I certainly won't let you hurt that sweet soul ever again." He spoke.

Damiano nodded.

They had been respectfully arguing back and forth, if you could even call it that. Gus had been taking every shot at Damiano, who took it on the chin, continuously trying to apologise and make things right.

Gus glanced over to his computer, he didn't expect any trouble so soon but seeing the blacked out screens his heart immediately picked up.

He ignored Damiano, clicking on a few buttons bringing up the last recorded scenes. The room was soundproof and he had muted the speakers for their conversation, he wasn't sure if this had happened minutes or seconds ago.

The last recorded footage played on a continuous loop. A car pulling into the carpark, parking carelessly across three parks. He couldn't make out the number plate from the night vision camera but he knew who it was.

Then three men walked up to the storefront, hitting the camera with the end of a baseball bat, sending the first camera into darkness, the following cameras finding the same fate in the next few seconds.

Gus pushed past Damiano, unlocking the door as quickly as his shaking hands would allow, running to salvage whatever he could, more like whoever he could.

He was running to save you.