Nova & Lumînous (Background 1)

The Phoenix would quickly run down the narrow and long castle stairs, his claws clicking down with each step he took on the cold bright purple steps. Today was much more important than any other day, his sister would be celebrating her thirteenth birthday. In Phoenix culture, a thirteenth birthday is considered the most important one of all time.

A phoenix's thirteenth birthday is when a Phoenix would develop their magical abilities most commonly like fire.
Now Novakin wasn't like any other Phoenix's, mainly because his father was the king of the Phoenix's, although it was also worth mentioning that his mother was a peacock.
Phoenix's aren't very accepting of tainting their blood with any other creature, but as long as Novakin stayed within the safety of the castle, he was fine.

Nova would run so fast that on the last step of the stairs he would trip over and nearly fall straight down, he would quickly use his own magic he got on his birthday and float himself back up before he hit the ground.

Nova didn't have time for this though. After fixing himself up he immediately started running through the left hallway. He had no time to spare when he was so late. He skidded around a corner so fast he thought he might fly through a wall. He made it. But the room was empty, practically. Nova squinted at a corner of the large table filled room to see only his sister Lumînous, and their mother. His father was sitting down, leaning over a table with a scowling face. In the corner Lumînous was crying with her mother attempting to comfort her. His other sister wasn't even there.

"L-... Lumînous?" He spoke softly. The three looked up at him. His father's frown grew.

His mother stood up uneasily, "where have you been?" Nova had to have guess she was trying to sound mad, but her voice couldn't carry out the burden when something was so cleary wrong.

"What? What happened? What did I miss? Where is everyone?" Nova began stuttering out his words in confusion. He took a step back immediately feeling guilt. Had he done something wrong? Lumînous wailed out again causing Nova to jump. He had already forgotten she was there.

His heard footsteps run up behind him. He glared behind himself to see his older sister Midnight run up. He looked back, glad he wasn't the only one who was late. His parents on the other hand didn't seem glad at all, especially not with Midnight.

Midnight panted heavily, leaning onto the golden sketched doorframe. She Shakily held up a small glass bottle that held a bright blue liquid within. Novakin glared at the bottle confused. What in the world was it?

"It gets harder you know... every time.." Midnight sighed out, finally looking up. When she noticed Novakin was right there she froze. Keeping quiet.

"I'm sorry... was I late?" Their mother stood up, stomping over to her and slapping the glass bottle out of her hand, causing it the shatter on the floor. The blue substance spread out beneath their talons. Nova quickly back up from the quarrel.

This mad energy was also affecting him. He was too ignored. Was nobody going to tell him what was happening?

Their mother turned to Nova, he shuffled back afraid something bad was about to happen with her being so mad.

"Nova, take your sister to your room." She muttered to him. Her low tone gave him chills. But he couldn't deny what he was told, he could already tell it would be terrible.

Lumînous slowly walked over to Nova and grabbed onto him, practically dragging him out of the room. He frantically looked around, trying to figure out what was happening. What was the rush? He was shoved down the hall before Lumînous finally slowed down and let him go.

"What is happening!?" Nova shouted, only to immediately get shushed by his sister. She glanced around before dragging him behind the stairs.

She was about to speak before closing her mouth and bringing him even further. This was starting to get annoying.

"I'll keep this short and simple. I didn't get any Phoenix powers because I have too much peacock blood in me." She sighed out although sounding more like she didn't care at all.

"WHAT!?" Nova backed up, he was ready to run. Where and why? He didn't know. This was such a big deal. How could a royal member not have any powers? Would she even get to stay a princess? Nova was quickly snapped out of his thoughts by Lumînous pulling him back.

"Be quiet! I wasn't supposed to tell you This." She mumbled out with regret. Nova's eyes narrowed. "Why not? What did I do wrong?"

Lumînous groaned. "Well you did just yell. But I don't know, it seems sketchy too me," She started out from behind the stairs awkwardly  "and I think it has something to do with Midnight. But we should continue this talk in our room."

"Sketchy?" Nova wanted to understand.

______________________________________

Lumînous was sitting down on her bed, across the room from her Nova sat up high on his raised up bed. Luminous tore off a decorative poster of the wall above her bed to reveal a dug out hole. Classic, She thought taking out a peice of paper making Nova lean off his bed with interest. The paper was curled up to conceal what was written inside. Covered in careless stains and random rips. It hadn't been old, simply miscared for.

Lumînous shuffled off her bed and shoved Nova back to slide onto his bed with him. They now sitting across from each other with a paper in between them that would reveal her only secret. Nova had full eyes of interest, but Lumînous also knew there was fear there for such a well behaved phoenix.

He never realized he was treated better than her for resembling a phoenix more than a peacock. Unlike Lumînous with her vibrant blues and pinks.

"What is that?" He finally spoke breaking the uneasy silence. Lumînous grinned, she was waiting for this moment where she could tell him about her secret side.

"Oh well you see. It's just a list." Lumînous spoked out calmly yet proudly, "A list of what? you may ask. Well it's obviously a list of all the CRAP that everyone has been DECEIVING us with!" Nova jumped from her suddenly aggressive tone.

"I know you probably believe there's nothing wrong here so let me paint you a picture.."

Nova slipped off the bed landing down on their uncomfortably tiled floor, "I definitely believe you." That sentence made even Lumînous a bit confused. She thought he might have been too spoiled for his own good.

"Mom never has a temper. Especially not with Midnight." Lumînous grinned. "So you're thinking like I am." She stumbled over to him causing Nova to giggle at her struggle. "Actually I'm a few steps ahead, Midnight was so pressed about this drink that was definitely a potion, no questions asked. And the way she treated it made it seem like it was something mother and father cared about alot."

Lumînous tensed. She hadn't even thought about Midnight being involved. The only reason she wanted to tell Nova was because he was her responsible older brother. Who is now telling her the issue includes her even older and even more responsible sister.

"Do you even know what's going on?you must be confused." Lumînous spoke out stuttering slightly.

"Do you?" Nova responded slyly, making her step away. "N- No... I guess not. But I'm going to figure out what this big secret is and you're going to help me." Nova nodded in agreement which Lumînous almost found surprising for such a nerd of a phoenix, never up for the dangerous stuff. But of course this wouldn't be dangerous. Why would it?