The Nest

____________________________

"What progress has been made?"

"We've evaluated their healing factor. It's truly incredible."

"If their healing factor is so amazing, why do they look like that?"

"Small portions of scars remain. We had to test them. Of course, there's also the matter of their punishments."

"Of course. Just remember that they'll be of no use to us dead."

"I know sir. They're getting more and more cooperative."

"Good. Once they're old enough to handle it, brainwash them. Command words will help us with them in the future."

"Yes, sir. But it won't be for a few more years."

"I know. Just be prepared."
____________________________

"She made fun of your form?" Steve asked in amusement.

"Told me I was slouching," Bucky murmured, smirking at the memory, making Steve laugh.

"Come on," he said, "We need to pass Sam a few more times."

"How bout a race," Bucky challenged.

Steve smiled. "First to lap Sam five times?"

"Yup," Bucky said, and they took off running.

Steve won because on Bucky's third pass, Sam tripped him and was then laughing like a maniac. He got a few weird glances from passer-byers.

"I would have won," Bucky said as they got in the elevator.

"Would have," Sam pointed out, "But didn't."

"I still beat you."

"I can't overlap myself," he defended.

"It's alright Sam," Steve told him, placing a hand on his shoulder, "I overlapped you enough for the both of us."

Bucky laughed quietly as Sam just stared in disbelief at Steve, who was failing to not laugh.

The next few days flew by.

Bucky hadn't been able to recall anything else about her, but the moments with her he remembered he kept living through. They talked to each other with so much love, joked around in a way he never thought he could have while he was with Hydra. He knew she had made it bearable. Gave him the motivation and strength to push through.

He just wished he could remember more of her. Any little detail. 

"Nat!" Clint yelled, hanging halfway out of a vent, "Nat, come here."

She turned around, looking at the place in the ceiling where her best friend was hanging. "I'm not helping you get down, Clint," she said in amusement.

"I'm not stuck," he said rolling his eyes and somewhat gracefully flipped out of the vent, "I want to show you something." He locked his hands together in front of him, making a foothold and smiling expectantly.

"Why?" she asked, narrowing her eyes at him.

"No prank, I promise," he said.

"Or glitter?"