diez

✧

Waking up to an empty bed had been a daily occurrence since Luna had been staying at the beach house since her return from Spain. She had been figuring out her living situation with college rapidly approaching and Jordan suggested she stay with them. So she agreed but only as temporary a thing because there was no way in hell that she would stay with them throughout the school year.

Especially when she woke up and was usually left with JJ and Asher. Not that they were necessarily bad company but they also weren't the best. But with Jordan leaving the house at around 5 in the morning in order to make it to Golden Angeles on time for his practices along with Spencer, there was only so much JJ and Asher she could handle.

Luna had been trying her best to get into the groove of their new schedules along with hers, it was a last-minute decision but she realized she sort of loved cheering for Beverly and decided to continue at Coastal. Her schedule wasn't as brutal as theirs was, but it was still a major adjustment compared to high school.

But at the moment, she was sitting with JJ and entertaining his whole idea of his homemade whiskey, he would occasionally tell her how it worked as she sat on one of the stools, scooping cereal into her mouth and scrolling absentmindedly through her phone.

"Hey, shouldn't you be at practice?" Asher's voice sounded through the kitchen.

"Uh, I'm supposed to be at the gym," JJ responded.

"Ask him why," Luna chuckled.

"Uh, why aren't you at the gym?"

"Look at me," JJ flexed his arm. "I'm already ripped."

"Dude, Spencer, and Jordan are busting their asses at G.A.U., and you're...what are you doing?" Asher sighed.

"Home whiskey distiller."

"You're making moonshine?" Asher retorted, not believing his eyes.

"You're welcome!" JJ cheered.

"Whatever," he stuck his hand out, holding out an envelope of cash. "Hey, here's my final rent payment. Can't believe this is the last week at the beach house."

Luna's eyes widened as she watched JJ count the money in the envelope. It was no secret that Asher had money troubles and resorted to being a waiter at Jacob's restaurant but when a better opportunity came he had taken it. Somehow placing bets for people and earning a percentage of whatever they were betting. But, the amount of money he was earning and how quickly he had earned it was sort of alarming.

"You sure that bookie job is safe, Ash?" she asked. "Like what happens when someone doesn't pay?"

"I have no idea," he shrugged.

"You have no idea whether it's safe or—"

A knock sounded from the front door causing JJ to cut her off and yell out for them to come in. Then he looked back at the two, leaning over the counter. "They don't send you out to break their kneecaps?"